Reply To: The shopping mindset

Home Forums ELO Forum The shopping mindset Reply To: The shopping mindset

Renée L
Participant

Thanks for starting this conversation, Eileen.

I can relate to a lot of what you said, especially about buying food that directly supports and perpetuates an unhealthy relationship with certain types of foods.

It took me some time to come around to this new mindset, (of owning true choice about what I buy, how much, etc…but then choosing NOT to bring certain foods home), and really feel it as empowering and a representation of my true self and goals, rather than a diet frame of mind, like “I can’t eat that” or “I am not allowed” to have that). But once I practiced pausing and not buying the food, over time I have developed a real freedom from the compulsion and obsession.

I know that I can have those foods anytime (granola, nut butters, certain nuts) but I also know the downside of eating them (Body obsession, remorse, guilt and shame) versus the freedom I feel and true choice I have cultivated in making the decision NOT to bring them home.

I know your situation is a bit different because I am specifically talking about my binge foods, and not processed foods as meals, but my point is that the longer I stayed with the three themes, the more I was/am able to decide freely and not feel like I am deprived and “losing out” on a food opportunity (this is my default mindset that I am learning to spot and redirect).

Thank you for sharing your AH HA moment!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Renée L.