Reply To: Regarding freedom of choice and taboo foods! Gillian?

Home Forums ELO Forum Regarding freedom of choice and taboo foods! Gillian? Reply To: Regarding freedom of choice and taboo foods! Gillian?

Gillian

Hi Carla,

Abstaining, where you cut out some kind of food 100% completely, is not an essential part of taking control of overeating.

Some people, for various reasons, may want to do that with some foods, but I will be explaining later on in the course how to eat some things sometimes, in amounts that work for you. Which is what you say you want to do. Good.

However, you have misunderstood something about free choice here, and that is that even if you didn’t eat a certain kind of food at all (and I’m not suggesting you do that) you can still carry that off with a genuine sense of freedom.

You say, “foods such as biscuits are not good choices feels like something prohibitive to me”. It’s important to acknowledge that you are still free to eat food that will undermine your health. Bad choices are still choices.

Few people prohibit healthy food, or even not-so-healthy food in small quantities. The reason I speak about it is with regard to food that isn’t so good for you.

I suggest you think in terms of, “I’m free (not prohibited) to eat anything and everything”.