Reply To: A messy experience with desire: the cookie dilemma.

Home Forums ELO Forum A messy experience with desire: the cookie dilemma. Reply To: A messy experience with desire: the cookie dilemma.

Gillian

Marta,

“I thought the “addictive desire” was more like a primitive, “dumb” part of my brain, but if that was in fact the addictive desire trying to convince me to have the cookie… It’s actually pretty smart, isn’t it? It’s not that easy to tell it apart from my own voice (if there’s such a thing as an “own voice”).”

You are so right about how very clever the addictive desire can be, and (surprise!) that’s exactly what Week 5 is all about. To be honest, I have oversimplified the “limbic vs PFC” game plan, but let’s go with this because it’s largely accurate and very helpful.

I want to emphasise that it’s not about getting everything right, it’s about gaining insight from your experiences – and that’s exactly what you seem to be doing. The next time (or even a few times after that) you are in a similar situation, you’ll be that much more able to identify your “own voice” – and yes, you really do have one. Promise.