Reply To: “Giving in” to overeating

Home Forums ELO Forum “Giving in” to overeating Reply To: “Giving in” to overeating

Louise
Participant

Hello Erin, I noticed you said that your desire is sometimes just ‘fleeting’ and I related to that as mine is just the same, whereas I expected to be overwhelmed by desire.

I don’t know if it will be useful to you, but when I get that fleeting desire, it is sometimes for something quite innocuous such as a second helping of a healthy salad, or a piece of fruit. For me, recognising that as addictive desire has helped. I have stayed with the feeling of wanting, and taking deep breaths, telling myself it is ok to eat it, but also that I will make more progress if I decide not to eat it, just this time. Just because it is healthy, doesn’t mean I have to eat it!

I don’t know why, but this practice on low-level craving has helped me when faced with a very strong desire too, for something that is unhealthy or that is a habit, such as eating peanut butter from the jar.

So The deep breaths,and saying the same things to myself, giving myself permission to, but also knowing I don’t have to eat it, often work for really addictive food as well, I think because of the practice on imperceptible desire.

I hope this helps, will be interested to hear what Gillian has to say.