Reply To: WORKING THROUGH DESIRE WHEN I HAVE ALREADY SATISFIED IT

Home Forums ELO Forum WORKING THROUGH DESIRE WHEN I HAVE ALREADY SATISFIED IT Reply To: WORKING THROUGH DESIRE WHEN I HAVE ALREADY SATISFIED IT

Erin H
Participant

I have had recent success at stopping my overeating before it turns into what I would consider a complete binge – for me, that’s been incredibly encouraging and honestly quite life changing! If I eat a little too much of something sugary instead of to the point of pain it feels like I’m making great progress and gives me hope that things will continue to get better if I keep practicing and working with the tools (for example, three package “servings” of a dessert item rather than six, followed by something else, until aversion kicks in).

Things that have been helpful for me when I’ve already started eating addictive foods:
-Keep repeating to myself that I have a choice, I can eat as much of this food as I want to, whenever I want to, and that by choosing to keep eating I will feel sick and lethargic, feel terrible emotionally, and have bad heartburn the next day. (I really try to connect with the outcome and remember how it felt last time rather than just saying it.)
-Even though I’ve already started I try to use Gillian’s steps to work through desire to help me stop. I pause and take deep breaths and feel what I’m feeling in my body. You could even use the MP3 mid-binge!
-I have used the healthy substitution method to slow down and stop as well. Eating something that is nutritious but tasty (for me that’s cottage cheese with fruit, nuts or granola) feels like I’m being nicer to my body so I think it kind of helps stop the snowball effect that binges have.

If we are going to do this whole thing imperfectly then I think I need to be able to eat sugar without it being a binge. I wonder if using a Plan to eat a donut (or two) would be a good way to work through the desire without it being a binge? Maybe Gillian can shed some light on that.