Reply To: addictive desire is everywhere

Home Forums ELO Forum addictive desire is everywhere Reply To: addictive desire is everywhere

archie
Participant

Dear Gillian

As an NHS keyworker(surgeon) its been testing times as you know…just got some free time today and was going through the posts..so glad i did…great learning experience from these posts.

I had difficulty with my eating patterns for a long time and i feel this is the only avenue where I feel I am an underachiever/ a failure! As with my work schedule etc.. as you probably know it is difficult to stick to a proper time schedules with food times due to the unpredicatble work load. I find myself not eating properly whilst at work (I even forget about food while working).Then in the evenings, I eat non stop till bed time as i am ravenous and also have this subconscious feeling that i didnt fuel my body well during the day.

Recently, I made some conscious decision to take short breaks for breakfast and lunch at work..but the evening binges are still going on. I feel like the evening habits are so engraved in me that I feel it is so hard to break that habit.

After attending your course, i was trying to deal with my choices and addictive desires.It is a steep learning curve for me ; I must admit.

With regards to choice, i feel like i am kind of tricking my brain / dishonest with it by saying that I am choosing not to have that “food” right now.Immediately, the question arises “when are you going to have it then?” The intensity of the question is so loud that I find myself giving in to quieten it and have that “food” so impulsively.

So,I feel even if I am the chooser here(with full freedom to eat/not to eat at that particular time) i am in effect choosing not to eat and therefore being restricted.This then leads to deprivation effect and tendency to rebel. I also find that the time interval between me planning an “overeating session”(whether it be a snack/ food portion) and executing the action is too small that the PFC is not fired in time to rationalise / analyse my unwanted behaviour. How can I get my PFC activated on time? Also, I have not realised my non weight motivations (NWM) yet.I think my NWM perhaps is to have “break free ” feeling and to feel in control).

Sorry for a long winded post. Hoping to hear back from you. Thank you once again for your excellent course