Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Home Forums ELO Forum TAKING A STAND Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Louise
Participant

Great idea for a thread Jessica!

I don’t honestly think much about Taking a Stand, because I tend to focus on the three themes, motivation, choice and desire.

I guess what Taking a Stand means for me is a) taking responsibility for my own health, and what I eat; and b) fully committing to this approach, by giving it my full attention and making it a priority just now, but not in a finger-wagging, ‘you must do this’ sort of a way.

One thing I find difficult is when I feel socially pressurised to share food, when it is food that is unhealthy or food I don’t want to eat. At those times, Taking a Stand is useful to me. That’s when I think privately to myself, “I am taking responsibility for this moment, and I am going to make a choice that is right for me, not what other people would like me to do.”

For instance, I was at a small gathering of 5 friends yesterday and someone had brought custard tarts. They are not really something I particularly like, but it still felt rude to refuse one. However, in my mind, I reminded myself that it is my choice, and part of my bigger choice is to Take a Stand on eating healthy food, and that includes choosing healthy treats and snacks.

I was happy with my choice and it didn’t lead to later overeating in private,as it has in the past.