Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Home Forums ELO Forum TAKING A STAND Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Renée L
Participant

Hello Friends!

Just a quick check-in to say hello and share how I “Took a Stand” today. I ran to the store to pick up a few items, and while I was there I found myself wandering down aisles and looking at some of the items I would normally buy.

At first, I had a lot of reactions along the lines of “I can’t have that!” and then I remembered that I am practicing a new way to think and behave around food. So I changed my thought to “I am going to pass on this food right now, but I know that I am free to buy this food in any amount, at any time, and right now I am choosing to pass on it.”

After my little private conversation, every time I passed by my other favorites I repeated the same thing. I know that I can have these foods, yet at the same time the real truth for me is that having these foods at home has caused me considerable pain and discomfort. Sometimes physical, sometimes emotional—and oftentimes both. Even if I feel “strong” and that I can portion them out, and eat them in a controlled fashion, I know from experience that it is just a matter of time before I am hunting for them in my cabinets and engaging in behaviors that I will later regret.

A few weeks ago, I decided to throw away these foods and just see what would happen. Initially I resisted, but then I decided to take a leap of faith and just see what would happen.

So far, so good! I feel great about this decision. And if I should change my mind, I know that I can.

I am happy to say that my grocery store experiment of leaving my LOVERS on the shelves ended on a positive note. I did not feel deprived because I know I am free to choose at any time.

That’s how I practiced “Taking A Stand” today at the store!

Hope everyone is well.