Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Home Forums ELO Forum TAKING A STAND Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Gillian

Julie,

If this was happening to me, I would approach my meal thinking of it as a potential overeating hazard:

“I didn’t sleep last night, I’m sleep-deprived, and so I’m very likely to overeat at this meal and later on regret that.”

If you’re unable to recall the potential hazard before you start to eat, I don’t think there’s anything to be done.

Then, you can make a Plan, which is the technique to use whenever you might overeat at a meal or snack. The Plan could be what’s on your plate, or it could be what’s on your table. You say you stay seated, so the extra food is within reach, on the table. Would it be possible to change that, so that at least you’ll be standing up in order to eat more than your Plan?

The value in making a Plan – and even having some physical indication of its boundaries by having food on or not on the table/plate – is that pretty much everyone goes unconscious during any eating, as the limbic system activates in response to the food. And sleep deprivation makes it that much more tricky to activate the PFC.