Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Home Forums ELO Forum TAKING A STAND Reply To: TAKING A STAND

Julia R
Participant

Julie,
A light bulb moment for me was “expectation”. Gillian talks about that but sometimes we need to hear it again and in different ways. She taught me about my vacation mindset. I always have an ice cream every day, that is my expectation cause I have always done that. My last vacation, I made a choice to have ice cream on the last day. That was my plan and that is what I did. Maybe expectation and plan are the same or they over lap??

Another example. Someone on the forum mentioned getting up when they could not sleep and they made the choice not to eat. That was an aha moment. I never thought of that. I always eat when I get up during the night. That is just what I have always done. Since reading that comment on the forum, I have had difficulty sleeping 3 times. While still in bed, I made the following choices: once I decided I was not going to get up cause what I really wanted to do was eat, and I chose not to do that because of the outcome. I stayed in bed and eventually went to sleep. Another time, I did get up cause I honestly could not sleep and I chose to not eat, instead watched TV. A third time, I chose to eat so I got up and did that. I am very pleased with these changes. Next time I have trouble sleeping I will remind myself about the expectation of eating and ask myself what do I really want/need and also include the outcomes.

For me expectation relates to the habits we have —always reaching for something when we walk in the door, buying popcorn at the theatre, etc. It is something we have always done, it is like being on auto-pilot. The ice cream plan was 2 or 3 years ago. I never thought of generalizing it to getting up during the night! This course and forum is so very helpful.

Julie, I hope one sentence gives you value!