A bit of an advance…

Home Forums ELO Forum A bit of an advance…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Given that I am giving attention to, and trying to improve, my food choices, at this point I would normally be eating all the biscuits etc because a) I won’t be ‘allowed’ it soon b) I need to remove temptation before I start. Often even if didn’t even really want it all that much at the time. However, now that I’m telling myself that I can still eat it later, if I want, I find that I just don’t bother. Which is good!

Ann C
      Participant

Me too! Like the donut question I pondered during the webinar. Now that I KNOW I can have one, I look forward to it, at some point, but keep ” putting it off”.

Although, I have found that planning on not keeping potato chips in the house is going to be part of my plan. If they are here, I see them and want them. So, I probably will never be the kind of person who keep crisps in the house…..more trouble than it’s worth!

Elizabeth
        Participant

Good to hear! It’s interesting, isn’t it- my husband always has crisps around. I rarely eat them at all, but occasionally fancy one, so I will literally eat 1 or 2, and that feels quite enough. I never overeat crisps. But biscuits….!!

Stephanie D
      Participant

Yes. Really believing that I can eat everything I want whenever I want (assuming I can get my hands on it) has a pure honesty about it that I’ve never really experienced. I really can. Doesn’t mean I will. But I can.

One other time in my life I “became very present” that I don’t HAVE TO do anything (well except die). I don’t mean to sound morbid, but that was liberating.

I feel a similar experience with this ELO. By not denying my choice to eat it “all” – I don’t actually have to eat any of it. Small advance for me too.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Stephanie D.
        Elizabeth
        Participant

Congratulations on your advance! Hopefully our small advances will gradually come together to make big ones! That’s one of the things I appreciate about this- we can make small changes at our own pace. Typically, I try to change everything at once, then I get overwhelmed, and end up making no real changes at all (and probably eating lots of whatever i wasn’t allowed to console myself for another failure..)

Cyndi B.
      Participant

Cool thing to notice, Elizabeth.
      And Stephanie, it’s the remembering of that deep ultimate understanding that I don’t have to do ANYTHING and especially not well, that was a real blind spot around my eating. Reminds me of poet Mary Oliver’s “Wild Geese.” Thanks for going there.

Yeah, I have some chocolate in the house, the good-ish stuff, Alter-Eco salted dark truffles; they are YUMMY, and also individually wrapped. But I’m working with plans.. and have yet to remember to include one in my plan. I mean I don’t NEED them, so it feels weird to me for now at least to include them in a plan that I base on what I need.
      Any thoughts, Gillian.. group?

Also, my last three hours before bed felt pretty intense with food desire. I was continually working with understanding, motivation and choice on repeat. I listened to the mp3 at least three times, and those six minute intervals were the most relaxing.. especially when I listened in the bath tub. Pass the soap, Gillian.
      I worried that I’d be kept awake.. but once in bed, went right to sleep; thankful for that.

Stephanie D
        Participant

Exactly! Well said. Thank you, Elizabeth.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Cyndi, are you asking for thoughts about, “it feels weird to me for now at least to include them in a plan that I base on what I need”. Yes?

My thought about that is I wonder if you are wanting to eliminate all addictive overeating by only aiming to eat what you need? If I understand you correctly, that may well be a bit too perfect, for a number of reasons. I suggest it’s better to aim to overeat less, rather than not at all. But more on that in Week 6.

In addition, how would you know for sure exactly what you need anyway? Remember the slide on the nutritional value of chocolate I showed in the last webinar? Maybe you need some of that?

Cyndi B.
      Participant

Yep, that’s the question… and thank you for thoughtful reply. I don’t KNOW what I need, good reminder.. but I am relying on sensing and bringing an attitude of beginner’s mind. One of the lines in the mp3 that really resonates and buoys me in a post meal desire moment is “I really don’t need this food.” That line just hits a bullseye for me, and I relax a little every-time I hear it… and have hit pause there, to savor that recognition, breath and let it sink in. I wonder if there is a connection there with my mealtime plan for what’s needed and post meal recognition of what’s needed.
      All good, really… happy to be at a place where I’m considering these questions.
      Think I’ll also listen to times and plans instruction video again today.

Gillian
      Keymaster

I didn’t intend my mp3 comment about not needing something to imply that we do (or should) know exactly what we need. I think it’s always a guess.

I look forward to hearing what you make of Week 6, available on Sunday.

Cyndi B.
      Participant

Oh no, Gillian… I dont think in the mp3 that you’re inferring an idea of “exactly” or that some precise ideal food intake has been met or exists. Your mp3 statement “I really don’t need this” just feels empowering and I want to internalize that when I’ve taken my own self-directed best stab at eating well and also a little less; that’s what I want to do.
      Rewatching Times and Plans video today was also helpful for my chocolate question.

Louisa R
      Participant

Hi Gillian
      I couldn’t log in to the webinar last Sunday for some reason?
      I had registered and the link was working but kept displaying the message ‘please wait for the host to start’ not sure what I’m doing wrong?
      Thanks!

Gillian

Louisa,

Yes, there was a problem with the live session on Sunday and you were not the only one who wasn’t able to get in. It went ahead, though, and the replay is here on the site in Week 4.

This coming Sunday I will recommend to everyone to go to the Noticeboard on Sunday to get to the live session. I’ll post about that soon.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.