A question about scales

Home Forums ELO Forum A question about scales

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Esther
      Participant

Hi Gillian
      I have a problem with weighing myself in that I actually dont want to get on the scales, it scares me, usually when I have joined slimming world I only weigh once in the week and want to do “well”, so I am quite happily going on now working with desire when I can, but if I do weigh myself and find I have put weight on I am worried it will put all the work so far in the bin!
      I know this sounds ridiculous but any advice would be helpful here
      Thanks
      Esther

Gillian
      Keymaster

Esther, I would think that even without weighing yourself you’d have some idea of your size from the way your clothes fit? And, are you not seeing significant non-weight benefits that you’d appreciate enough to want to keep, regardless of your weight?

I am puzzled by this, though, as you’ve given me the impression you’re doing very well with this course, really pleased with how it’s going for you. So I don’t get why you fear you’re gaining weight. Surely you know if you have been eating less?

Esther
      Participant

it’s just a deep rooted thing that I’ve had for a long time, I’m not particularly bothered if I ever get on scales again and I do feel I’m progressing.
      I just wanted to mention it !

Esther
      Participant

So, yes I do feel some has been lost but don’t want to be fixated on that but also don’t know if it’s an issue to be “scared “.
      Does that make sense ?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Okay. No I don’t think it’s an issue. More likely it’s you remembering that in the past you’ve always regained any weight loss, so here you are losing weight again and you think, “this won’t last” because it never has before. Very understandable.

I suggest that whenever you become aware of this “it won’t last” fear, that you bring yourself into the present time and remember, “so far, so good… let’s see what happens.”

The fear is about the future – which hasn’t happened yet, and you don’t need to know how things will turn out. So be willing to not know. Right now, you’re doing fine.

In addition, keep your non-weight benefits firmly in mind and take the position that these will motivate you to continue to eat less no matter what your size.

Esther
      Participant

Thanks 😊 that really helps, I felt a bit stupid saying it but needed to voice it !

Leslie
      Participant

Esther, for what it’s worth, your post doesn’t sound silly at all to me. I think the scales symbolize a lot of stuff! Ideally, I’d like not to weigh myself again (or very infrequently), and just trust how clothes feel, and keep non-weight benefits firmly in mind, but I have a fear of letting go. So I’m working on it, too. Thanks for bringing it up!

Esther
      Participant

Hi Leslie
      Thank YOU for your post, it means a lot to me!
      Just gotta keep working on it as you say x

Jenny
      Participant

Esther i have the same issue. I am really glad you brought it up!

Esther
      Participant

Thanks Jenny X

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.