A revelation

Home Forums ELO Forum A revelation

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeanette
      Participant

Hi, Gillian and everyone.

IF I may share…I just listened to Sec. 4.2 Times and Plans and had a revelation! It really shocked me that I realized that I can do this for my children, but not myself! I had to do this for my teenage daughter a couple of months ago because she was getting headaches and her stomach was hurting at 11pm, and so I listened to when and what she was eating, determined that she wasn’t eating enough, and not eating enough at the right times, and we changed that and she’s fine now.

I always knew that I had issues with eating, and when I had my children, I was quite determined that they would never have these same issues (because I was scared for them). So I asked their pediatrician for help when they were infants, and took that advice and what I knew about nutrition, and did the opposite of how I was raised to eat, and some of it was trial and error just by watching them and needing to tweak it. I’m so proud to say that that worked for them! They do not have my food issues! And yet, I am scared to do it for myself! And yet, I can’t do it for myself! …Yet!…

Gillian

Jeanette,

You are absolutely right about this being a revelation – to see food in terms of these sorts of more immediate health effects instead of lumping it all into a vague “weight loss” outcome.

It’s different for you because of your own addictive desire to eat, of course. That’s why this course has that as its focus.

I think the challenge for you is to trust that non-weight benefits will appear for you – maybe benefits you cannot even guess ahead of time.

If you can say what’s tough about even taking a baby step, I’ll see if I can shed some light.

Jeanette
      Participant

Thank you, Gillian. I believe that I actually AM taking baby steps as the course is progressing and I’m learning the new concepts. What clicked for me first was the lake picture with free choice, then I got puzzled with the desire section but just kept repeating that for a couple of days, and then started the working through desire with Plans and non-weight motivation outcomes last night at dinner, which REALLY helped me and which is my real “problem” time (along with the revelation above that I can do it for others/my children but not myself). So yesterday was a win day for me. My history would be that I would say to myself the next day: “great, you did it, you’re done”, which of course is ridiculous, but that’s always what I did. I’ve been talking to myself this morning to NOT do that, I’m NOT done at all, and to keep going – if I freely choose to do that – to reach my non-weight motivation goals (which I really had no idea that I had quite so many, and the one that is really motivating me right now is not the health one. Interesting.). : ) [And, I’m actually going to try to apply these steps to my issue of not going to bed at a reasonable hour, which results in my being truly exhausted the next day so my list doesn’t get done…]

Gillian

Excellent, Jeanette. Sounds really good.

I was picking up on your comment:

“And yet, I am scared to do it for myself! And yet, I can’t do it for myself! …Yet!…”

But it seems you can and you are 🙂

Jeanette
      Participant

Thank you, Gillian. Yes, I hadn’t put everything into practice yet when I wrote that, and also that’s how I had been feeling up until that point. Thank you. I do believe that I was successful today, too!!! 2 days!! Hopefully, I’ll choose to keep trying to put this into practice in the upcoming days, too! : )

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.