Allowing

Home Forums ELO Forum Allowing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sarah MacCormick
      Participant

Hi Gillian

I have been really practising the mantra of ‘I can eat anything I want’ for the past couple of days. It has made me feel really much more relaxed whenever I think of food. But it has also had the strange effect of making me feel so neutral about food that I sort of get to a point where I think: ‘I’m not sure I want to eat anything’ – a bit like when you say a word over and over and it eventually looses all meaning! I have of course been eating food but I have felt less motivated to do so. Is this a good thing?! Or at least something that you’ve heard of before?

Sarah

Gillian
      Keymaster

Sarah, remember from the slide with the lady locked in the cell (Session 2) that prohibition creates a more intense and/or persistent craving for food, together with some level of anxiety. I showed research to support that, and called it symptoms of prohibitive thinking. So it is possible that you’ve had that sense of prohibition for many years, which lead to a heightened interest in and attraction to food – and this has now evaporated. Well done!

The other possibility is that you’ve slipped into a state of compliance (which makes it all seem magic and easy) but I doubt it, and that wouldn’t happen as a result of practising “I can eat anything”.

There’s a way to understand this, by the way, in terms of brain function – which I’ll be talking about on Sunday.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.