Body Obsession

Home Forums ELO Forum Body Obsession

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #8128
      Renée L
      Participant

      Hello Gillian and Everyone!

      I’m curious to know your thoughts about using your technique for working through Addictive Desire to help reduce my painful/automatic self-critical thoughts about my body.

      The thought occurred to me the other day that just as I can “lessen the sting” of my compulsion for food by using your technique, so too could I apply this same idea to other invasive “dramatic” (always negative and burdensome) thoughts about my body.

      These themes all tie together for me and can spiral downward: hating my body…wanting to diet/control food/lose weight as the “solution” for this perceived “problem”, etc.

      Any thoughts?

      I’ve done a lot of work around body acceptance and 90% of the time feel love and acceptance for myself, but the other 10% of the time I feel “hijacked” by these thoughts and unable to reduce their occurrence/frequency.

      I’d appreciate any feedback and am honored to be on this journey with you all.

    • #8129
      Julie Mann
      Participant

      Renee I have the same issues, eager to hear Gillian’s response!

    • #8133
      Gillian
      Keymaster

      Renee and Julie,

      As well as acceptance of body and self, how about acceptance of having thoughts that are negative about your body?

      Do you believe you could or should be 100% accepting of yourself 100% of the time?

      I do believe in the idea that what you resist, persists. Part of the reason the addictive desire diminishes is because it is accepted! The paradox is that the less you fight it, resent it or think it should go away, the easier it becomes. The idea is: “what you embrace, dissolves”.

      Maybe those self-critical thoughts, Renee, are painful because you make them mean something other than what they are?

    • #8136
      Julie Mann
      Participant

      Oooh so good Gillian. That’s such a great point. I don’t have to accept myself 100% of the time, I can learn to accept that there will be days I feel great about myself and days I won’t and that’s OK too…

      It’s all about acceptance – of desire, of negative body thoughts, realizing that they will pass…

    • #8137
      Renée L
      Participant

      See…so happy I asked!

      Such a good way to look at this issue and a perspective that I had not considered to adopt, up until now.

      I will practice trying this.

      Thanks again,
      R.

    • #8138
      Gillian
      Keymaster

      Let us know how it goes.

    • #8140
      guadalupe
      Participant

      Thanks for this!
      Sometimes its really hard to handle the situation with the size and shape of my body. Specially today, that tomorrow Ill go to the beach… But Im not staying at home just because IM FAT, as I did so many times..

      Gillian, I dont understand what do you mean with this: “how about acceptance of having thoughts that are negative about your body?” You mean to accept my negative thoughts about my body? For example “I have the intention of accept and love my body even though I don’t like being fat”?

    • #8143
      Julie Mann
      Participant

      I love that you are going to the beach and living your life!!!

    • #8145
      Gillian
      Keymaster

      Guadalupe,

      Accepting thoughts that are negative about your body would be like:

      “I hate my body!” and then you think, “Oh I just had some thoughts about hating my body. I do that from time to time and I can live with that.”

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.