Carb Cravings

Home Forums ELO Forum Carb Cravings

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Caroline
      Participant

Evening all,

I am wondering if anyone else recognises this, with all the chat about reducing carbs and increasing other healthier food.
      This evening I have not been hungry, in fact i was too full after my dinner and being too full has in the past been a trigger for me to keep eating – presumably in a ‘blown it now’ kind of way. It’s funny to be full yet not have overindulged (too much). I had a large plate of salad with feta, avocado, sundered toms, hard boiled egg, olives etc.
      Anyway, I digress, this evening I have been serially snacking the way i previously did with simple sugary carbs. Tonight I’ve had different stuff, berries and greek yoghurt, a babybel and so on. I am wondering if my desire to eat continues as I’ve not satisfied it with sugar. I’ve thought about it a lot tonight. I’ve thought about having the easter egg chocolate and thought yes I want it but I don’t want to make it harder to make good choices tomorrow. I find it very hard to get back to sensible eating after a sugar/cake/chocolate feast. Sometimes it can take a week or longer and i decided it wasn’t worth that. So i knew what I was doing was an addictive desire to eat but eating was not addressing that desire, as I was not eating what i craved. I feel it remained. So, I stopped eating at 8pm and have had 2 glasses of water since. I’m now worried that i have overeaten a lot on fat and protein things- i’m finding it hard to judge though as the fullness is more a normal effect rather than being full after carbs when you know that you’ve def overdone it.

I’ve bolded the bit I am really asking about as it gets lost a bit with all my other thinking.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Caroline, my aim, as with all my clients, is to support you in developing an autonomous relationship with food, where you can learn through trial and error what works for you. However, it will not be possible to do this while feeding or avoiding your addictive desire to eat.

Your Pavlovian bell rang last night from a feeling of being a bit too full, and you began to snack, to satisfy your addictive desire.

Even if you had fed that desire with carbs, it still would have continued. This is why you don’t stop at one snack, no matter what it is. As you say, you had been “serially snacking the way I previously did with simple sugary carbs”.

So yes, you weren’t eating what you craved, but eating anything at all rarely if ever ‘addresses’ an addictive desire in the sense that it makes it go away. So, yes, your addictive desire remained and persisted, which is what it tends to do.

This is the whole purpose of my “Eating Less” course material. From what I see in your posts, you have yet to turn around 180 degrees to face, manage and work through your experience of addictive desire. At some point I hope you consider that this may be of value to you, and perhaps even liberating. I don’t see how anyone makes real progress without it.

Please know that the focus of my work is not recommending lower carb eating, although that’s certainly worth trying out. What I teach is how to develop the skill of managing addictive desire, and thereby gain the ability not to feed it. This, in my opinion, is essential.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.