Carbs: to Eat or Not to Eat? When to Eat?

Home Forums ELO Forum Carbs: to Eat or Not to Eat? When to Eat?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Larissa
      Participant

Hello Gillian,

I’ve been reading the Forum last night (was so much into replaying the weeks on choice and times and plans, that totally forgot to check on it). On the topic on motivation you advise to eat less carbs earlier in the day. I remember you’ve also advised someone with sleep troubles to have some carbs for dinner or before bedtime.
      This is a totally new concept to me. I’m used to “eat your carbs before 10 a.m., noon the latest.”
      Could you share why is it advisable to do it rather vice versa?
      Many thanks.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Larissa, with nutritional advice such as this, I always aim to make any suggestion based on a particular problem that’s been presented, and in a context of ’try this out and see if it makes a difference’. So, as I think you know, my programme isn’t about promoting any one nutritional theory, for example, a particular proportion of carbs. We are all different, so if eating carbs before noon works for you, I’m not the one to suggest a change there.

That said, I personally find (in my clients experience, my own, and as a result of the reading I’ve done) that eating less of the starchy carbs – grains, beans, sugars, root vegetables – is a good move. As you see on the ELO site page, ‘Your food and your health’ they tend to be inflammatory. And, they are not so nutritionally dense.

There are many, many different views as to how much to eat and when to eat them. Some people say to eat carbs in the evening as it will aid sleep. With all food-related problems, I always suggest that you experiment and see how you feel. Someone on this forum recently asked about feeling hungry even one hour after a meal – not good! I suggested lowering carb intake (bread, for example) and she said it helped her a lot.

On the site page, ‘Reads and views’ the first video I listed is the best presentation on carbs I’ve ever seen. It’s a huge subject.

Larissa
      Participant

Thanks, Gillian.

I do appreciate your programme is not about nutrition. It’s just that those subjects are so connected.
      Thank you for the examples based on your and your clients’ experience and for the references, will check them out.

Caroline
      Participant

I’ve watched the Tim Noakes videos. He is passionate about what he believes and incredulous that the majority refuse to acknowledge this. I am tending to agree with him.
      Gillian, can i just check, when we talk about lowering starchy carbs to lower inflammation, can we make up with additional protein OR fat, so long as it’s not processed food? There’s no right or wrong, it shouldn’t need to be a particular one or t’other?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Caroline, the short answer is that calories may not matter quite as much as was once thought, but there’s big controversy over the amount of protein that’s optimal, and you may well have overeaten fat and protein yesterday evening. From what you say in your other post, “making up with additional protein or fat” might be nothing other than “feeding addictive desire with protein or fat”. See that post for my thoughts.

I absolutely agree that the less processed the better. When it comes to fats, keep in mind that vegetable/seed oils are highly, highly, highly processed.

Yes, Tim Noakes is brilliant.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.