Choosing for now

Home Forums ELO Forum Choosing for now

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Robyn
      Participant

Hi all,

I’ve really been enjoying the forum and the wealth of the posts recently.

I’m trying really hard to work on choice because I really felt I had no choice for about 47 years.

I understand the concept of choosing only for now, in this moment, but I struggle to put it into practice. I’m sure it’s tied into perfection and diet thinking, but bringing myself back to eating less just for now, is difficult. I know that future planning (hoping) isn’t working for me!! How have others here dealt with choosing just for this moment.
      Thanks.

Robyn
      Participant

I woke up this morning with the realisation that I can set an intention to eat less and eat well but it’s in each moment that I make the choice of what I want to do.

I think I’m a slow learner 🙄😁

Louise
      Participant

I think it’s a really helpful distinction you’re making Robyn – thinking of the future as opposed to right now, when I am faced with my addictive desire. Thanks for the insight! Have you listened to the MP3? I found that very useful for practising what to do when my limbic system is telling me to overeat.

Robyn
      Participant

Hi Louise,
      I’m glad you find it a helpful distinction. Watching the addictive thinking of planning how I’m going to be behaving around food is something I’m trying to be aware of.

I have listened to the MP3 but I’m going to try and make it a daily practice, as it is so helpful in keeping working with addictive desire, in the front of my mind.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Robyn,

I thought I’d add that taking a look at your addictive mindset (see Week 5) can be a very helpful part of the process (as well as everything above). It’s just a matter of asking yourself, “how am I justifying this overeating?” or if it’s already happened, “how did I justify that?”

The chances are you use a few favourite themes over and over again, and can go a long way if you begin to challenge them. The first step would be to become aware of what they are (they’re always there).

Robyn
      Participant

Gillian, I’m finding addictive mindset to be very tricky but realise it’s very important to figure it out. I often find I’m not at all aware of what my addictive thoughts are. They are there but I end up eating without being aware of the thoughts. I’ll go back and revisit week 5, and make a note of and ask myself the questions you suggested.
      Thanks so much.

Gillian
      Keymaster

You can gain greater awareness of your best addictive mindsets by reviewing them after overeating, on reflection.

As you begin to notice the same themes over and over again, you’ll be more likely to identify them at the time they are happening.

Robyn
      Participant

Thanks again Gillian.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.