Fear of having food at home

Home Forums ELO Forum Fear of having food at home

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Teresa W.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Teresa W
      Participant

Hi Gillian,

I’ve gone through the first weeks materials and I’ve also read your books. I understand that you say that in the beginning, it may help not to have trigger foods at home. My problem is that I binge on ANY food (I don’t eat manufactured food, sugar or gluten), be it chicken be it broccoli. I do prefer certain foods to others, but when I binge, anything that’s edible and in my kitchen will serve. At times, I try to have as little food at home as I can, but it doesn’t work, I’ll go out and buy kilos of fruit and oatmeal or anything that doesn’t need to be cooked and can be consumed immediately.

I know I need to change my mindset, but in the meantime, do you have any suggestion to address this situation?

Many thanks in advance!

Gillian

Teresa,

My suggestion to “make your choices at the shops” is just one idea that may be of use to some people, with some foods. I can appreciate that’s not a viable strategy for you, and, by the way neither for others who have family members insisting on highly addictive food such as ice cream and cake at home all the time.

I’d be interested to hear if you ever did overeat sugar and other carbs and have replaced them with other foods which you now overeat.

Apart from this, I’d focus on choice right now: I can do this, I can continue to eat like this, and if I ever didn’t do it I can always go back to overeating like that.

Is that real for you?

Teresa W
      Participant

Thank you very much for your prompt answer, Gillian.

In response to your first answer, yes, I overate processed carbs and sugars when I was 16-17 (I am 49 now). I was bulimic at the time. Previously I had anorexia nervosa (I was diagnosed at 14, but I had started to stop eating and over exercising at 13; I did not carry any extra weight at the time, I just wanted to be very thin). And yes, when I went from one extreme to the other I learnt to overeat on lettuce, cabbage, and very low calorie foods, but when full-blown bulimic I would rather binge on manufactured sugary carbs. Now, I binge on anything, so for many years I have been using my brain when I go food shopping, but not so much with quantities.

My biggest problem is not so much the quality of my food, but the quantity. I can eat 8 kilos (more than 16 pounds) of food in a day and feel awfully in pain at the end of the day. I do not trust myself very much when it comes to food, although, according to what you said yesterday, I could start to think otherwise.

Yes, since last Wednesday, when I decided to give a serious try to your program and read all the materials from week 1 and 2, I have kept reminding myself of the three themes, have post-its all over the place, and have been doing really well. I didn’t binge or ate for hours though my salads are still huge and could feed three people.

Nevertheless, I must admit, I am nervous and worry that I might do well in the beginning, but maybe I am not able to maintain this in the medium or long term… as it usually happens to me.

Anyway, many thanks for your wonderful materials and all the effort you put into this. It’s like you read my mind!😉

Best,

Teresa

Gillian

Teresa,

It’s often the case that people do well in the beginning, and worry they won’t be able to maintain this in the medium or long term. This happens to a great many people.

If it starts to fall apart (if or when it does) it will be because you’ve lost sight of one or more of the three themes. So consider that, and see what you can do to regain control. This is a learning process.

Teresa W
      Participant

Many thanks, Gillian. I’ll try to remember about the three them as the key that solves this.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.