Feeling put in the cell

Home Forums ELO Forum Feeling put in the cell

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Brittany Weiler
      Participant

Hi Gillian–

The concepts of choice, motivation, and desire have really rung true to me and are helping me on my journey (be it in fits and starts) of learning to overeat less. However, I am really struggling with the later concepts you introduce (mentioning briefly along the way in the webinars) about eating fewer carbohydrates, etc. Do you have clients who follow the principles you teach without going on a low-carb/keto/paleo diet? As soon as I started looking into the extra reading you recommend at the end, I started to feel like I was back in the cell. I felt “tricked” into thinking I could eat what I wanted while still learning to manage my addictive desire, remember choice, and non-weight-based motivation, but then felt like the rug was pulled out from under me. I know this isn’t your intent at all, but I am just trying to figure out how to wrap my head around the concepts of free choice while also feeling you’re implying that in order to be truly successful, I need to change the types of foods I’m eating.

Thanks so much for your help!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Thanks for your post, Brittany. The solution to the problem you’re having is for you to know that you are completely, totally, 100%, utterly free to eat anything and everything you can get your hands on, in any amount, at any time. You never are locked in a cell – unless you really are (literally) locked in a cell!

What’s true is that some kinds of food support and enhance your health (mostly real food) and other kinds of food (mostly processed and manufactured) undermine your health. When you’ve got reliable sources of information letting you know about this (together with your own experience) you can make educated, informed choices, but this in no way compromises your essential freedom to eat anything.

The video 4.3 in Week 4 will be good to review.

I include references to current thinking about nutrition on this site because many people have told me they find this helpful. It’s in the “Extras” section because I don’t think of this as an essential part of what I’m teaching. In other words, you can use the ELO techniques to eat less processed, manufactured food.

“…in order to be truly successful…” depends on what you mean by success: weight loss or the best possible health? In my opinion, you achieve both of these by consuming less of the processed carbohydrates (especially sugar and wheat) and industrial seed oils (aka vegetable oils).

I’ve got a written exercise I could send you that would help you to sort this out. Let me know if you want it.

Also, please let me know if you still have questions; we can have a conversation right here about it if you want to do that. And, questions and comments from anyone else who reads this are most welcome.

Brittany Weiler
      Participant

Thanks so much for your response. I would love the written exercise–sometimes it’s difficult to discover what my own expectations are for myself. I think for me, being “successful” means I have more control over what I choose to eat–that I don’t feel like I “have to” give in to an addictive desire, and that maybe 85% to 90% of the time I am able to work through the desire and abstain from eating something that doesn’t benefit my health. Right now, it’s probably about, I don’t know, 30%? I just reviewed the video you suggested and feel so silly for having forgotten about the limbic system/prefrontal cortex relationship. I think I just need to watch the entire webinar again to help it sink in. I appreciated your reminder at the beginning of 4.3 that my limbic system is going to get fired up every.single.time, so I need to stop getting upset about the times I feel my addictive desire, thinking that it “should” have gone away by now with my efforts. I also truly am grateful for your perspective at looking at those difficult food times as opportunities instead of albatrosses to bear.

Gillian
      Keymaster

As an existing site member you are most welcome to go through the whole course again if you want to do it that way. The Week 1 webinar is on May 26th, and the Schedule with all the dates is on the home page in the menu bar. But of course the content is all on this site anyway, so maybe it’s just a matter of viewing the videos again.

This is a big learning curve for most people – but knowing you’ve not grasped something is what leads you to a breakthrough. You say you are after “more control over what I choose to eat” and you’ll get there by no longer feeling like you’re “back in the cell” – even when you’re faced with ‘food’ that’s no good for you at all.

Really good to see you’re hanging in there. Have emailed the exercise.

Victoria
      Participant

Oh could I get that exercise too please Gillian?

Thanks

Victoria

Gillian
      Keymaster

Victoria, would you email that request to me please.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.