Free choice: a concept to be understood.

Home Forums ELO Forum Free choice: a concept to be understood.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniela
      Participant

Hi Gillian,
      Hi community,

This is what happened yesterday.
      I was in a shopping mall. Full of food stores there.
      I got a strong 9 out of 10 food craving. (Expectedly )

I started to breath. And that helped me to think about the next step.

I whispered into my mask 😷: I m having a addictive desire.

Continued breathing.

By this time my craving was 3 out of 10.

I was left with sadness while I was thinking about free choice. My thoughts are used to think ‘overeating is freedom’ not ‘not eating is freedom’.

By this time and all that thinking I had 0 craving but left with sadness.

I went home didn’t buy anything To eat in the mall.

Free choice is something that I have not understood yet.

Not sure what my question is.
      May be just comments.
      Will go back and watch the choice chapter.

Best
      Daniela

Gillian
      Keymaster

Wonderful, Daniela. Excellent.

The feelings of deprivation – such as sadness – often tend to linger a bit. All you do is talk to yourself when you notice them:

– that was my own free choice to not eat the mall food
      – I made that choice for a reason, and hope to see the benefits of it soon (or already?)
      – I can go back there another day (or later today even) and eat that food any time

If you do that, the sadness of ‘deprivation’ will fade away. Yes, the Week 3 choice webinar is good to review, especially starting 38 minutes from the beginning, for about 15 minutes.

Jessica
      Participant

Thank you for this comment, Daniela. I can completely relate. I loved the way you describe the idea that for so long “freedom” has meant giving into addictive desire. I am used to feeling that way too and it’s definitely a shift in thinking to embrace a different kind of freedom. I think I will struggle with that and the sadness as well.

I guess that’s why it’s so important to pick a motivation that is immediate and more tangible to hold onto instead. And also to remember that it’s not as if you can’t go back and get it later. I like thinking of it not as “never” but rather “not right now.”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.