September 12, 2020 at 3:40 pm #9211Renée LParticipant
Wanted to pop in here and say hello. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to join you live tomorrow for the Webinar but look forward to catching the replay. And of course, there is the Forum, which I check regularly and find very inspirational and helpful! Thank you to everyone who shares; I really appreciate all of the feedback.
I wanted to share some of the changes that I have experienced since applying Gillian’s concepts.
1. I have much less “noise” in my head about my body, weight and food. This doesn’t mean that I don’t have annoying or persistent thoughts. The difference is that now I can spot these thoughts for what they are (part of my AD) and redirect them immediately. This helps me waste less time and I can get back on track with the Three Themes.
2. As a result of incorporating the themes into my day (“just for now” is one of my mantras) the way I am talking to myself is gentler. And when the harsh voice pops into my head, I can say “oh that is just my AD” and redirect myself.
3. I have noticed that I am having more “pre-conversations” with myself about food/amts/outcomes. This has reduced the amount of “post-conversations” which resembled harsh reprimands/berating rather than an actual conversation.
4. I am “beating myself up” with my thoughts less and less. Now I hear a calmer, more soothing voice in my head about my choices. Now I hear things like: “just for now”, “You’re not locked up…you can certainly eat that, in any amount, at any time”, “you are free to choose” “You don’t have to eat that”, “You don’t have to eat that food, in that particular way” (frantic eating mode)
5. I have a greater understanding of the mechanisms of neuroscience behind my thinking and actions. This offers a completely new perspective for me, and as a result has reduced a lot of the shame I have felt for a very long time.
6. Gillian’s method, for me is: private, quiet, simple, powerful and effective.
7. Integrating the 3 Themes is becoming 2nd nature now. I can say without a doubt that I’m feeling more calm, powerful, positive, reassured and confident.
8. Knowing the secret to managing and dismissing my AD was the missing piece for me! When I decide to work it through, it passes very quickly, often even before the end of the 6 minute MP3.
9. I have stopped: buying and bringing home my binge foods (for me it was nut butters), unhealthy snacks for the kids (we have some but they are in the “snack cabinet”). I have also backed down on my old behaviors of cooking/baking “incredible” (tempting) meals/desserts/breakfasts. I have now simplified my prep and cooking, cut back on what I will make for the kids and have also stopped looking at Pinterest (food porn!) and this has helped reset and redirect my brain. We have a lot of conversations about healthy eating and healthy behaviors in general and when the kids do eat “food like substances” we don’t minimize it. We say exactly what it is they are eating and don’t glamorize it. I have also decided that once the snacks/desserts run out, I am not buying more. If the kids want nightly dessert, they can have fruit/nuts.
10. My daughter has a shirt with a picture of a cactus on it and the shirt reads, “cactus makes perfect!” So I remind myself that yes, indeed, cactus makes perfect. So I practice when it matters most: in the moment that I am making food choices. I use T & P. I manage my AD. This has freed up a lot of my brain space to accomplish other things and think about non-food/body related content!!!!
11. The noise in my head has gone from a loud, overbearing constant static, to a soft gentle white noise. When the noise changes, then I know what steps to take to make some changes.
12. None of this would have been possible without Gillian’s course. Thank you Gillian! And none of it would have been possible had I not been open to the ideas presented. And nothing would have changed in my life and with me had I not applied the techniques consistently. All of these changes did not “just magically happen” to me. I did the work. I experimented. I have made many mistakes along the way. But most importantly I can say that my relationship with food has shifted and more than likely will continue to ebb and flow. And I like the direction of this movement!
September 12, 2020 at 4:22 pm #9212
Renee!!!!!! These are NOT gentle changes, they are HUGE!! POWERFUL. Incredible. Inspiring! Thank you for sharing and way to go.
September 12, 2020 at 4:23 pm #9213
I’m so happy for you. Truly wonderful. And this “Knowing the secret to managing and dismissing my AD was the missing piece for me! When I decide to work it through, it passes very quickly, often even before the end of the 6 minute MP3.” So helpful, I agree, it’s all about allowing the AD and working through. And I love “cactus makes perfect”, LOL.
September 12, 2020 at 4:37 pm #9215LouiseParticipant
What a fantastic piece to read Renee, thank you. You have put into words so well many of the experiences I have had with Gillian’s approach: it is truly life-changing (and quite possibly life-saving). There are so many bits of what you write that chime with me, but most of all, this:
‘None of it would have been possible had I not been open to the ideas presented. And nothing would have changed in my life and with me had I not applied the techniques consistently. All of these changes did not “just magically happen” to me. I did the work. I experimented. I have made many mistakes along the way.’
This is so true of me too – really engaging with the ideas, in a meaningful way, and giving them a chance to work, and learning from mistakes instead of thinking ‘oh, that didn;t work for me’. it has made me so much more aware of my behaviour, and not just in relation to food. Like yours, my head is quieter too, and I am finding strength and energy in all sorts of areas of my life. Thank you Gillian!
September 12, 2020 at 6:41 pm #9218
Yay Louise! So good.
And yes, all learning comes from messing up and growing!
September 12, 2020 at 9:25 pm #9220Julia RParticipant
WOW! EVERY sentence in your sharing is POWERFUL! What an inspiration! And you are teaching and changing your children’s lives! I too, have changed so much since applying Gillian’s principals. You did an amazing job articulating it all! Thanks for taking the time and writing this!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.