High Carb vs. Low Carb

Home Forums ELO Forum High Carb vs. Low Carb

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Julia R
      Participant

Hi Gillian,
      Approximately 1 1/2 years ago my husband had a stent put in. He had 99 and 95% blockage. As part of his rehab (exercise), classes were offered in regards to shopping, cooking, diet. I attended the classes because I like information and I wanted to find ways to support my husband. One of the attendees was diabetic and was on insulin. This attendee had had two previous heart attacks. The diet that was promoted in this rehab program is called CHIP (Complete Health Improvement Program) developed in 1988 by Hans Diehl. There are 35 scientific articles available on this diet. It includes foods “that do not have a mother”—this is my description (no meat, dairy, or eggs). It is all grains, beans, legumes, fruits and vegetables, healthy oils, seeds and nuts.

The diabetic attendee started this diet and in one week he went off his insulin! Who knows what processed foods he had been eating prior, but none the less, I was shocked with his results. I always believed grains and beans should increase insulin.

We were eating Keto/Mediterranean prior to my husband’s surgery, but then we started eating this (CHIP) way. I was willing, as the result of this attendee’s results, plus I wanted to assist my husband. After just a few weeks all my husbands numbers changed—cholesterol levels improved, his A1C went from pre-diabetic to normal.

I am really confused. I have books on my shelf including Wheat Belly and Brain Maker.

I asked about tinnitus in an earlier strand and you shared the Extras regarding foods that contribute to inflammation.
      I am wondering if my diet of grains and beans could be contributing to my tinnitus. I realize the best way to determine that is to remove them from my diet and then add back, one at a time. I am willing to do this.

My question: I realize you support the keto diet. However, how can this be explained? Is diet, not a one size fits all? Which means some folks thrive on keto while others thrive on CHIP or something else? It is so frustrating to be 66 years old and still wonder “what” my body needs. Would you be willing to take a look at this program? You value science and as I said there are numerous scientific articles. This program promotes eating more, weigh less, however I never felt encouraged to eat more or extra food.

Any input would be of value! I am writing this because there may be someone else that could get value from this question.
      Thanks!

Louise
      Participant

Hi Julia, just interested in following this thread as I had never heard of the CHIP program. Just looking up some of the background, I’d be curious to know how this would work with Gillian’s approach as it seems to be based on restriction, eg one site says the CHIP program encourages a diet that is vegetarian and avoid caffeine, rich and highly refined foods, hot condiments and spices, and alcohol. That all sounds like good choices, but I wonder if the way it is phrased as a diet might bring on feelings of being restricted?

I have a friend who periodically ‘eats keto’ and although I am not entirely sure what that involves, she seems to experience many of the problems described on the course, like yo-yo dieting and bingeing.

I’m interested to hear what Gillian says about it, as there seem to be very sound ideas about what it would be good to eat less of (and more of!).

Thanks for posting; am learning such a lot of new stuff on here!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Hi Julia

I don’t think I’ve ever said that I support the keto diet, although there do seem to be health benefits from going into a state of ketosis (where the body burns its own fat) from time to time.

I’ve already made the point that there will always be controversy with regard to nutritional theories. I know this statement itself may well be controversial, as so many groups think their way is the only way. I don’t think there can ever be a “one size fits all”.

I believe I have delivered a course that “does what it says on the tin” in that it teaches people how to take control of overeating. I believe we can all go a long way with that in dealing with highly and ‘ultra’ processed foods (especially sugar), most manufactured food, industrialised seed oils, and overeating in general.

I have no interest in debating nutritional theories, or trying to promote one over another, as it’s not what this course is about. I’ve included the pages in the Extras section as people have found them helpful, and I have made it clear that:

“This is my summary of some of the current thinking on the impact of food on health. You might have different views, and as far as the ELO Course content is concerned, this doesn’t matter and won’t invalidate any part of it. As I’ve said, the line between what we really need and what is overeating will always be approximate: open to revision, controversial and individual.”

Julia R
      Participant

Gillian,

I apologize for my comment about keto.
      I understand your response. The purpose of the course is not to compare various diets but instead for us to learn skills to “take control of overeating”. I did not think about it, but it could be more than a full time job comparing and contrasting all the various diets one could present to you! Thanks for your response on this!

Louise,
      For your friend doing keto and yo-yo dieting. I believe the keto does not include processed foods. So if your friend sees this as being deprived, then as we have learned, that could result in yo-yo dieting or over eating. I would not necessarily blame the “keto” food plan. It may just be where she is at in regards to choice.

Louise
      Participant

Hi Julia, yes your comment makes sense – as we have learned on this course, anything presented as ‘eat this’ and ‘avoid that’ is likely to send people to restriction and then temporary compliance, followed by rebellion, and I suspect this is what is happening to my friend.

I hope I’ll have a opportunity soon to mention Gillian’s work. My friend has said a couple of times that I look well, which is sometimes code for ‘you have lost weight’. I always wear the same (loose) clothing, which helps to reduce the chance of my focusing too much on weight.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Louise.
      Julia R
      Participant

Gillian and Louise,

I just listened to Dr. Zoe Harcombe and the first hour of Dr. Aseem Malhotra. WOW! This is the info I needed to hear! Thanks for including that in your list of references!
      I am re-vamping my diet starting today!
      Thanks Gillian!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.