How do I know how much to eat?

Home Forums ELO Forum How do I know how much to eat?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Barbara D
      Participant

Hi Gillian and everyone,
      This course makes so much sense and is exciting and liberating. I have made progress with noticing and reducing addictive eating and recognising my choice.

My motivation has always been very strongly weight loss and body image. I am working on my non weight loss motivations.

I am finding it difficult to know if I am eating the right amount. If nearly all my eating was addictive eating when I stop or reduce this I may not eat enough. I also am fearful of giving up my tendency to weigh myself every day as this is my gauge as to have I eaten enough or too much.

For reference and at risk of falling into the trap of weight loss obsession my weight has dropped 4lbs over the last two weeks. How do I know that I am not just in a compliance phase of my usual yo-yo dieting pattern. I feel like I have been hungry a lot but I’m not sure I know how to eat enough without overeating. Nor am I sure if it’s real hunger or addictive desire.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Barbara D.
      guadalupe
      Participant

Hello Barbara!
      I think that maybe the fact of weight yourself cause you that feeling of being on a diet, because you may control what to eat by watching the number on the scale. telling to yourself im doing it great, im eating less because Ive 4lbs less.
      Maybe if you do not weight yourself you keep in touch with non weight motivation and you make focus in what you really feel if you eat that less or that much. And also detect with foods may feel better for you.
      My motivation has also always been very strongly weight loss and body image, its really hard to stop and finish the relationship with the scale. Because its like a relationship 🙁
      Let´s see what Gillian says!

Barbara D
      Participant

Hello Guadalupe,
      Thanks for replying. I am going to step away from the scales for a bit as Gillian advises. Now is the time of day I would normally weigh myself. Not today.
      I need to keep in touch with my non weight motivation. That is the difficult thing for me and I‘ve been thinking about it over the course of yesterday and I think that I am forgetting that I have a choice here and risking depriving myself. It’s so important to keep paying attention to what I am telling myself about food and body image and keep focussing on non weight motivations and reminding myself that I have a choice.
      The family have food things on display In my kitchen at the moment that I look at and catch myself saying “you are not allowed those” but I am remembering to catch myself and tell myself I can eat them if I want but I am choosing not to. It’s the motivation for that which I need to work on I think. Oh and I did eat one in a planned way as a desert after dinner two days ago.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Barbara, these are such great questions you are asking; you are clearly engaged in the process, the journey, rather than the destination of a certain amount of weight lost. Wonderful!

“I am finding it difficult to know if I am eating the right amount…I may not eat enough.”
      I aim to eat as little as I can without running out of energy, either physical or mental, throughout the day, and without disrupting my sleep through the night. Every day you can discover a bit more about that, but make sure you do this in a flexible and imperfect way, rather than to have rigid rules. I also pay attention to the quality: less manufactured and processed, and more real food.

“How do I know that I am not just in a compliance phase of my usual yo-yo dieting pattern.”
      In compliance it’s a bit too easy, and for most people, it’s a bit too perfect (rigid). I’ll speak more about this later, but for now just notice that this might be going on. You are probably familiar with how the compliance phase ends, after weight loss and/or after some overeating. I will cover this.

“I’m not sure I know how to eat enough without overeating.”
      What a fantastic thing to be learning! There is very good room for error. All you need is to be willing to get it ‘wrong’ sometimes, to be continuing to learn about this, and not to aim for the illusion of ‘perfection’.

Barbara D
      Participant

Thanks Gillian. This is really helpful.

Julie Mann
      Participant

Gillian I really appreciate hearing you say this, as it’s something new I’m playing with: “I aim to eat as little as I can without running out of energy, either physical or mental, throughout the day, and without disrupting my sleep through the night. Every day you can discover a bit more about that, but make sure you do this in a flexible and imperfect way, rather than to have rigid rules. I also pay attention to the quality: less manufactured and processed, and more real food.”

In the past I did the exact opposite, I’d see how much I could get away with eating AND still either lose or maintain my weight. This time around I’m doing just what you mention, seeing how little I can eat and still feel well. It’s been remarkable to see just how little food my body actually needs in comparison with the overfeeding I was doing. AND how in doing so, I get to work through desire and then all the non weight benefits that come from eating less.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.