How much “eating less” is enough?

Home Forums ELO Forum How much “eating less” is enough?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Annabelle
      Participant

Gillian – I have been working with your material on and off for the past year. (I also read the books in the past so I have been aware of some of the material for much longer)

I am pleased with some of my achievements:

Now I rarely eat crisps
      I am able to eat part of a chocolate bar (and not feel compelled to eat it all to destroy the evidence!)
      I am over-filling myself less frequently
      I am not eating food just because I see it in the fridge – I am able to use choice to tell myself I can eat this thing any time. And I generally choose not to eat it at that time.
      Being able to refrain from having second helpings (even though it still feels painful!)

But.

There is a little voice of sabotage in my head saying “ you are still eating too much – will you lose weight”. This voice is familiar – it has been with me for a long – a preoccupation that will my body actually respond to eating less?.

So my question is: Is it purely a case of trusting that if I eat less and don’t rely too much on weight as a motivation for food choices that weight will just drop off? What if it doesn’t? What happens if I follow this program, but for some reason my weight plateaus at a level that I am not happy with?
      Many thanks!

Georgia H
      Participant

Annabelle and Gillian, I’ve had that thought too about “what if this doesn’t help me lose the weight I need to lose”? My answer to myself is to use intermittent fasting, or even extended fasting to help with weight loss. I have been successful with that in the past, but then the restrictiveness led to overeating/bingeing. So now with this new tool I would tell myself that I’m free to go however many hours without eating, but I’m also free to eat at any time, anywhere, however much I want. Then if I felt addictive desire when I broke the fast, I can pause, breathe, allow, and accept without overeating.
      I guess it would be good to also have non-weight reasons to fast.

Gillian

Annabelle,

I’ve no idea, of course, what style of nutritional advice you are currently following, if any. May I suggest you take a look at the video – Dr Andreas Eenfeldt – on low-carb and weight loss – with a link in the READS AND VIEWS section.

My point is that it may not be a matter of eating less, but taking a look at what you are (or could be) eating less of. “Following this program” gives you the ability to make changes; there’s plenty of advice out there as to what changes to make.

As Georgia says, IF is a good idea, but I know that can be daunting for some. It can certainly improve insulin sensitivity and metabolic function/flexibility, but so can LCHF. And maybe some IF can come later?

If you have time to watch that video (only 30 mins) and ask any questions about it, I can answer in the Webinar on Sunday, if you like.

Annabelle
      Participant

Thank you Gillian and Georgia
      I have now looked at the resource on LCHF. Having reviewed my food choices, I can see that although I have cut down on simple carbs and processed food, I am probably still consuming a lot of carbs that I consider “healthy” eg legumes, whole grains, fruit, root veg etc. Perhaps my 50+ year, post menopausal body doesn’t do well with this level of carbs. I am reluctant to make big nutritional changes because I do not want my diet mentality and sense of deprivation to be triggered. However, I could probably come up with options that are more low carb than I am currently consuming.

I have a real conflict around animal products and links to environmental destruction, so tend to add legumes to dishes to bulk them out and use less meat – which I still eat.

Hopefully there is a happy medium for me in terms of balancing nutritional type, food amount and realistic body size.

IF could be helpful – but again, I am wary of triggering diet mindset and deprivation.

Because I am well, I don’t have any strong health motivations to change my food any more than I have – other than to mitigate the risk of issues in the future, but currently, other than being a few pounds overweight, my vital signs are all good.

I guess I may find that if I were to eat lo-carb I would get significantly more energy which itself would become a non-weight motivator.

Ah well, baby steps!

Georgia H
      Participant

Annabelle, those concerns sound very well thought out and very reasonable.

Gillian, could you address in the webinar the best way to go about making dietary changes without triggering the diet mentality? Thanks so much!

Annabelle
      Participant

Hi Georgia
      I think for me diet mentality is primarily triggered by weight motivation as opposed to non-weight motivation. It’s better for me to make a choice for positive change as opposed to feelings of deprivation as on a diet.
      It’s also about knowing I can choose to eat X (bad food) any time – but for now, I am choosing not to. It’s also that recognising desire for junk food is addiction – as is desire to overeat (fuzzy boundary here). But knowing this allows me to work through the addictive desire.
      I’m really happy with this outcome. I feel much better eating less and not eating junk food. This is my non-weight motivation.

However, I would also like to be slimmer. It’s a careful balance for me because if I let that part of me get too powerful, it will probably undermine everything I have been putting into practice. That’s why I think making small changes would be best for me.

I’m curious to hear what Gillian has to say on this issue too!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Georgia,

“Gillian, could you address in the webinar the best way to go about making dietary changes without triggering the diet mentality?”

I’m not sure I quite understand this question, because it seems to me that everything in this course – summed up in the three themes of Motivation, Choice and Desire – is the answer here.

I think this course “does what it says on the tin” in that you develop the ability to eat less. Maybe you eat less of everything in general, or maybe you eat less carbohydrate, or manufactured food, or whatever. But the principle is exactly the same. Yes?

Maybe rephrase and ask again if there’s something I don’t get about this?

Georgia H
      Participant

I think Annabelle summed up the dilemma very well – we can eat less using this method and non weight motivation, but how do I transition to do something to help me lose weight? That is weight loss motivation! The fear is that it would trigger me to eat addictively again, that wanting to lose weight would undermine my progress.

Georgia H
      Participant

I tried to edit and made my last post a double!

I think I’ve answered my question in my first post in this thread – I need to find non-weight motivation to lose weight!!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Georgia and Annabelle

It’s not that the weight-based and non-weight types of motivation are incompatible – you can eat in ways that improve your health and lose weight at the same time, yes?

And I’ve not said that weight loss should play no part in the process of eating less. What I’m saying is the best way to lose and maintain fat loss (loss of adipose tissue, yes?) is to identify as much non-weight motivation as you can, both for short and long term outcomes.

In week 1, I mention goals of reduced inflammation, improved insulin sensitivity and greater metabolic flexibility (ie fat as well as carb burning for energy). This leads to improved health AND loss of fatty deposits (subcutaneous, visceral and hepatic).

Gillian
      Keymaster

Go at your own pace.

No hurry (I don’t think).

Baby steps if you prefer to take them.

You’ve come a long way in 6 weeks?

Georgia H
      Participant

Yes, my understanding and mindset have changed a lot in 6 weeks. But the fear is still lurking around. I remember you saying that you have seen it happen again and again where people lose weight on this program, then get focused on the weight and gain it all back. That’s what I’m terrified of happening. What advice would you give to prevent that from happening?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Georgia,

What benefits have you seen from the changes in eating you’ve already made that have nothing to do with the weight and size of your body?

Georgia H
      Participant

It feels very good to me to embrace addictive desire, allow it, and stay in control. It feels so much better to not be living in fear of over eating. It feels so good to know I am the one in control and I am not powerless over food addiction. I am encouraged that my over eating is beginning to turn around.
      Those are excerpts from my journal over the last week.

Could it be that people become so focused on the weight loss that they forget their non-weight motivation?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Yes, absolutely, people do become so focused on the weight loss that they forget their non-weight motivation. I encourage you to become even a tiny bit fearful of losing these non-weight benefits – and any others you discover along the way.

It can help to play down any lost weight, hiding it under loose clothing and not flaunting it either to yourself or others – at least until it becomes the new normal for you.

And the problem of yo-yo-ing isn’t only a matter of motivation, it’s also related to the two other themes of choice and desire. All three together make it that much easier to get back into control if/when you do overeat.

A common example would be the Addictive Mindset reasoning, “it’s okay to eat more now that I’ve lost so much weight”.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.