How much is less?

Home Forums ELO Forum How much is less?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Sian
      Participant

I am doing the course for the first time so it’s all very new to me. I’m trying to implement what I’ve learned so far but after years of dieting and following rules and plans I feel like I don’t know how much to eat? What is a normal, healthy amount to eat? Would appreciate any advice!

Jasper G.
      Participant

Hi there, I am new too and I am interested in this answer too. The only way I know how to eat less is by calorie counting. I’m hoping that the course will teach us.

natalie
      Participant

hi Sian & Jasper,
      I’m new too. so far, i don’t think about eating less so much as choosing food and thinking about how it will affect me afterwards – that is, how will i feel? bloated and guilty? or satisfied but ‘light’. i think it goes back to the non-weight motivation for me that i repeat to myself. i’m hoping the eating less will follow later ….
      are you trying this too?
      Natalie.

Tina G
      Participant

Hi All,

I am new as well. I too am working my way through what is ‘eating less’ and I feel that eating less for me would look like half the amount of what I normally ate at one sitting. Maybe it would be 1/3 less. I do feel hungry at times soon after, but decided that this is normal since I am used to eating far more food.
      Of course I am not sure if this is a good strategy or not.. I figure it is a process and eventually I will understand what is a good amount for me most of the time!

Natalie you bring up a good point- the non weight motivation and cues. I have to be vigilant to not turn eating less into a DIET! The diet mentality is a tough one to overcome, but that is why I am here!

Jasper G.
        Participant

@natalie yes I think this is the way to do it.
        The problem that I have at the moment is that I eat mindlessly. I see something, it’s in my mouth in a nanosecond with no thought at all. Then it seems to trigger my wanting another and another etc.
        When I’m calorie counting then I am more mindful of what I’m eating, I know that either my calories are all accounted for that day and I don’t have the snack or I have some left and can have the snack if I want.

Daniela
      Participant

HI there,
      I can relate to your questions a lot.
      For me it is about gaining trust in my decisions and trusting my gained body knowledge over the years. An example is in my case: If eat lots of bread I feel in a certain way and If I eat fresh home made food I feel different. If I pay attention I’m sure I know what is good for myself and how much. And if it wasn’t enough quantity wise – I can go back and have more.
      And this is partly what I’m here for practicing the trust in my self and practicing making the right decision for myself.
      I’m on a learning curve.

And I’m sure Gillian will support all of your questions above.

Thanx to all of you for posting what you see and think.
      Best,
      Daniela

Sian
      Participant

Thank you all. I think maybe eating a small amout then waiting and eating more later if I’m hungry is something I’ll try to do. I just want to stop the diet mentality more than anything as I feel that it’s so depressing
      Thanks
      Sian

Gillian

Hello to everyone in this thread,

I thought I’d add that 14 minutes into my Introductory Webinar I read out the question, “how do I establish just how much to eat without counting calories or weighing food…” and then give my answer.

If my answer doesn’t fit for you, let me know why, here on the forum.

AND, if you want an answer from me include my name in your post – otherwise I’ll assume you are wanting to chat with others on the course.

Jasper G.
        Participant

Hi Gillian, I’ve just watched that part of the video again.
        1) Are you implying that suggested calorie intakes are inaccurate? I find it’s a good guide and when I do it, works for me very well. I have maintained a BMI of 19-20 for 4 years by calorie counting and feel the best I have ever been. I don’t eat rigidly every day but count the calories over a week. When I don’t calorie count I overeat.

2) “that’s a bit much, I’ll eat less next time” is this how we’ll be thinking by the end of the course ?

3) “It doesn’t have to be perfect” ” you can figure it out” “with approximate amounts” I think you are suggesting that deep down we all know how much/what we should be eating but for various reasons we don’t heed our own advice and prefer to follow instructions from someone else.

Gillian

1) Are you implying that suggested calorie intakes are inaccurate? I think what I said was that they can only be a guess.

I find it’s a good guide and when I do it, works for me very well. I have maintained a BMI of 19-20 for 4 years by calorie counting and feel the best I have ever been. I don’t eat rigidly every day but count the calories over a week. When I don’t calorie count I overeat. It would be silly for me to suggest you change something you’re happy with, but I’m thinking you are here for a reason. And maybe the reason has to do with the calorie-counting? I don’t know.

2) “that’s a bit much, I’ll eat less next time” is this how we’ll be thinking by the end of the course ? It could be that you discover that this is a good way to think about it.

3) “It doesn’t have to be perfect” ” you can figure it out” “with approximate amounts” I think you are suggesting that deep down we all know how much/what we should be eating but for various reasons we don’t heed our own advice and prefer to follow instructions from someone else. I’m not sure it’s a “deep down” knowing. It’s much more simple than that: if you’ve been counting calories for years and maintaining a healthy weight, you’ve already got a fairly good idea about how much to be eating? More or Less? Yes?

Sian
      Participant

Thank you Gillian, I’ve just found it. Sorry about that, there’s so much to take in and so many resources, which are all great. I just feel that I will need to keep going over them
      Thanks

Sophia G.
      Participant

This is very interesting. For me, ‘less’ is getting closer and closer to what ‘normal eaters’ eat, their portion sizes, the amount of food on their plate. And The way a ‘normal eater’ (someone without food issues, lucky devils!) doesn’t mind being a bit hungry and will wait for their dinner, without having a snack, so they don’t ‘ruin their appetite’ as they might say. Amazing. So I want to have those ‘normal’ sized meals and portions, and much fewer snacks. It’s quite amazing to me how small sized their meals usually are. But that’s where I expect to be myself, when I eventually beat this addiction and issues that I have. I tried having a much smaller portion sized meal last night, and it was definitely smaller than what I would usually have gone for. But the look of the plate, the actual amount of food, would have looked the same to anyone else looking at it. So that’s what I’m aiming for, those smaller portions, and less often.

Gillian

Yes, Sophie, I think that’s it.

Be willing to not have every answer to this question of “how much do I eat?” all tied up with some precise number. And all sorted right from the start.

Be curious. Be a work in progress. Be willing to make some mistakes. And know they are always correctable.

Sophia G.
        Participant

Thanks, Gillian. That’s reassuring! After so many years of failing, I never fully trust myself (like I expect pretty much everyone here) so it is reassuring knowing you are there to help catch us when we’ve gone off.. Plus I went back too and looked at the part 14 mins into your 1st Intro Webinar which you said about earlier in this thread. Really useful ta!

Sian
      Participant

Thanks Gillian and everyone else. When I went back and looked at 14 minutes in the thing that struck a chord was not trusting myself to know how much or what to eat. I would really like to work on this during the course. Also, when I’m with my extended family there’s a huge amount of eating and drinking involved. We are all overweight. During lockdown this isn’t an issue but will be a big deal for me when we all meet again

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.