How to enroll to the September Course/ Chaotic Eating

Home Forums ELO Forum How to enroll to the September Course/ Chaotic Eating

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Corina
      Participant

Gillian,
      I couldn’t find the information, and I’d want to take the course again.
      Although I benefited and enjoyed it greatly, my greatest difficulty is related to chaotic eating, and I would want to focus on TIMES.

Besides TIMES, or related to this, I have difficulties with the basic cooking and general planning of my meals – I have difficulties taking time and care for myself, and the result is chaotic eating, a lifelong pattern.

Gillian, could you give me a suggestion for until the new course starts?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Corina.
      Gillian
      Keymaster

Corina,

You’ll see in the ‘Schedule’ in the top menu bar that our next course starts on September 27th. There is no pre-registration.

Meanwhile, if you’re not aware of our ongoing Q&A webinars over the summer, you might want to take a look (on Dashboard below Week 6).

As for your chaotic eating, I’m not sure Times are the best thing. I’ll need a bit more info from you:
      – What is it that you dislike about eating in this chaotic way?
      – Can you let me have an idea of what might be an improvement for you – if I had a magic wand to wave at you and your eating was no longer chaotic, what would it be like?

We have another Q&A webinar on Sunday 22nd so maybe I can answer in that? I remember you are not able to attend live but you can catch the replay the following day. Or maybe it’s a more simple answer and I can post here.

Corina
      Participant

Thank you, Gillian
      – What is it that you dislike about eating in this chaotic way?

I have a sense of lack of control over my life
      I get hypoglycemia symptoms if I wait too long between meals
      I get suddenly hungry , then I eat too much- I am not binging though, but I could eat less, obviously

– Can you let me have an idea of what might be an improvement for you – if I had a magic wand to wave at you and your eating was no longer chaotic, what would it be like?

I would eat a balanced meal 3 times per day, +/- 1 snack
      I would cook more and be more self-caring in this way.

Since the course ended, I did very well the 2 times I was out of town, meals provided. After 20 years of cooking, taking care of kids, something I did because I wanted them healthy, but not really because I loved it, now , over the last few years, I just can’t do it. Maybe rebellion after compliance…

Gillian
      Keymaster

Corina,

I wonder if it will help you to separate the two strands in this problem, addressing them one at a time?

!. you go too long without eating
      2. you don’t cook

How about starting with eating the same sort of food (not cooked or ‘balanced’) but finding a way to remember to eat these things before you get ‘suddenly hungry’ with ‘hypoglycemia symptoms’? Very important that you are the one who figures out a way to remember to do this!

Make sure you see this as an on-going process of trial-and-error discovery. No change you might make is to be set in stone! And entirely possible that no change you make is going to be ‘perfect’.

Corina
      Participant

Hi, Gillian,
      Yes, I think it’s a very good idea to separate them, and again, and again, to stay with the trial-and error.
      In regard to the first problem- it’s been a problem for all my life, and I fall off the wagon constantly, it is a pattern.

The tricky part is that I want to be more consistent and less “changable”. I wonder if this is not another sort of addictive desire for chaos.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Corina,

My guess is that you’ve trained yourself to forget to eat for periods of time; perhaps it’s an attractive strategy to keep your weight down – effortlessly!

Yes, it’s a life-long pattern, so expect to be on a learning curve with lots and lots of failures in the process of making a change in this.

It might help you to keep in mind that many people these days recommend eating within a 6 to 8 hour ‘window’. So everything we eat takes place within that time over the course of a 24 hour day. I just wonder if that might help you with the ‘fasting’ you’ve already established! Maybe the changes you make don’t need to be so huge? More like tweaks?

Gillian

Corina, just thought I’d add that the technique of Times as I describe in Week 4 doesn’t seem to me to be of use in terms of your aim to eat more frequently sometimes, in order not to become ‘suddenly hungry’ and hypoglycemic.

Corina
        Participant

Hi, Gillian,
        I took some time to think about my issues and what you said.

My extremes: If I do not eat for 4-5 h, I get irritated, shaky. If I stay without eating for longer than that, I may not be hungry at all and I suddenly get shaky. It is not really because I forget, but because I am busy with work. or involved in something interesting. Then, when I’m stressed out, I eat /put something in my mouth every hour.
        When I eat every few hours, including protein, I am fine, but I cannot keep up with the order.

I attending the course in May after I experienced a period of disordered , as above eating, while not eating enough proteins.
        I do not have diabetes, but I was told that hypoglycemia is prediabetes, which I seem to forget. It looks like lack of real self care and hidden weight issue to me. Many layers coming to surface…

Could you respond here or on the webinar tomorrow?

Gillian

Corina,

Can you explain about ‘keeping up with the order’? What does that mean?

I can respond in the webinar – but will do much better if you can find a question (or two?) to ask me. Otherwise, I’m left guessing the question, and I often get it wrong. “Could you respond?” isn’t enough for me.

BTW, everybody who ever attends this course has some degree of lack of self care and weight issues (of which they may or may not be partially or completely aware). I say this because I hope it’s helpful for you to see you are not alone 🙂

Corina
      Participant

Gillian,

The only question I can think of is:

In May I did the work for the course, I had many insights, I worked on addictive desires, but now I feel discouraged because I see how I am incapable to stick with basic self care, which for me is
      1. eating regular meals every few hours,
      2.stop drinking coffee, tea, kombucha between meals, which may be an addictive desire. Yes, Please talk aboutsuch an addictive desire

Gillian
      Keymaster

Corina,

“In May I did the work for the course, I had many insights, I worked on addictive desires, but now I feel discouraged…”

Did you make any changes as a result of doing this course, and if so, what were they?
      Do you feel discouraged because you didn’t make any changes in your eating or because they didn’t last?
      Or because you made a few changes but not enough?
      Or because you only saw changes while you were out of town and had all meals provided – and I guess meal times set for you?

It will help you a great deal to ask a question or two. “Please talk about…” isn’t a question. A question ends in “?” This is helpful for both of us – but especially you!

Corina
      Participant

Hi, Gillian,
      That inner critic makes a horse out of a mosquito (Romanian proverb)

Today I can see and say that I am already doing better. I physically feel better.
      Yesterday’s webinar was a reality check: I am not doing as bad as I thought. I recovered very fast after I asked for help!
      I was so busy and stressed (about doing very new things) this summer, that I forgot about the webinars.

This is a list I made on 8/21
      MY CHOICES:
      1. Cooked meals or not, not important. Find new ways.
      2. Protein with every meal. Meals as balanced as possible, not perfect.
      3. Apply TIMES. But not rigidly.
      4. Do not drink between meals, to satisfy addictive desire.
      5. DO NOT ENGAGE THE CRITIC- DO NOT ALLOW IT INSIDE THE HOUSE! DO NOT FOLLOW IT! (It is inhuman)
      6. DO NOT FEED THE CRITIC: DO NOT USE THE SCALE.
      7. IGNORE THE CRITIC.
      8. Be aware of deep emotional triggers
      The most important improvement I made was to eat some protein with meals, which lowered my cravings for eating between meals, not eating, then eating too much- this is my SELF-CARE.

I do not want to eat more.
      I want to eat less and regular meals for better digestion and blood sugar maintenance.

I hope that I am more clear and it makes sense why I still think TIMES work for me.

One consideration: I reached mesopause. I may be even more sensitive to carbs then before, although I was told that I am “intolerant” many, many years ago.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.