How to integrate abstinance

Home Forums ELO Forum How to integrate abstinance

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ausra
      Participant

Dear Gillian,
      I`m feeling sick for the past two days. And I do know that is because of the gluten I have been eating. My dilemma is that I do intellectually understand what it does to me and I feel miserable while I’m going through those periods of sickness. But after I am recovered and doing well for a short while,I tent to forget how I felt. It seems it doesn’t sink in with me.
      How do I learn to remember and remind myself of Why I choose to be abstinent with gluten, sugar and dairy? I guess it alines with Julies question, however Im looking for a tool to remind myself of the choices I have made in the past that I regret.
      I hope it makes sence,it`s not always easy to put in to the words what I see happening in my behaviour.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Ausra, I’m not sure there could be a tool to remind yourself of choices you later regret because you’d still need to remember to use the tool. Maybe it comes down to two things:

1. You keep making this mistake until you remember ahead of time. If it takes 100 times, that’s what it takes and on time number 101, you remember that you get sick when you eat gluten.

2. Our ability to consider consequences beyond the immediate moment arises through activity in the Prefrontal Cortex at the front of the brain, just behind your forehead. The more you work with the technique “Working Through Desire” and the material in this course, the more you develop and strengthen this ability. Neuroplastic change doesn’t happen through understanding – it happens through practise.

I know your question seems similar to Julie’s but not really and I don’t want to explain why due to confidentiality.

Ausra
      Participant

Dear Gillian,

Thank you for your answer.
      This is what I see and understand. By putting more of my attention to the repetition instead of recalling the bad feelings. Because of the repetition I will be able to reform my neuropath ways?
      Sometimes I do understand (in general) the message that I am given but it desn`t sink in with me. Can repetition help with it too?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Ausra, repetition is essential. Without repetition there is no process and no progress. Yes, it’s repetition that leads to neuroplastic change.

Every time you notice that you have an addictive desire, you have an opportunity to repeat “Working Through”. Part of that process (although not the entire process as there are other things) is recalling the bad feelings – the undesirable consequences of overeating and/or the benefits of not overeating.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.