I thought I was doing well but I’ve put on weight

Home Forums ELO Forum I thought I was doing well but I’ve put on weight

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Victoria
      Participant

Hi Gillian, hi everyone,

I thought I was doing well working through my addictive desire and cutting down my after-dinner eating and reducing my alcohol intake and making progress but I realised today that my clothes feel snug. I haven’t been on the scales so I don’t actually know, but I feel like I have put on weight, my jeans feel tight. I’m disappointed with myself, I thought I was making huge strides but I must still be overeating at meal times, so my portion sizes must be too large. Before it was all or nothing so when I put on weight it was no surprise; now I’m in the middle ground and I must still be eating more than I need. I guess if you don’t know that you’re overeating you can’t do anything about it, so at least I have identified it and now I can adjust my portion sizes accordingly. I know the answer is to keep going and focus on my non-weight related motivation more than ever. I think using plans to regulate my portion sizes might be helpful for me too. It’s feedback for me if nothing else!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Victoria, if I remember correctly, about two weeks ago you began to eat fewer carbs and felt less hungry as a result. Is that right? And do you think your weight gain has happened since then or before? The reason I ask is because it’s often not so much a matter of having smaller portions of everything, but experimenting with the amounts of carbs such as grains, beans, root veg and sugars.

Victoria
      Participant

Hi Gillian,

Yes that is correct, I have been eating less carbs and more fats and managing hunger a lot better, which has stopped me snacking in the evenings, but I wonder if I am having too much fat? When I was following a keto diet it basically advised you to eat as much fat as you wanted in order to feel full and just restrict carbs. If you don’t have an addictive relationship with food you may well have a good idea about how much fat is enough for you, but for someone with an addictive appetite, this could easily lead to overeating and I wonder if I am still eating too much fat with my meals?

Victoria
      Participant

I’ve just thought, the jeans that feel tight are my going-out jeans that I don’t wear very often, they feel tighter than the last time I wore them which was weeks ago, so it’s not necessarily the last couple of weeks that have caused the weight gain, it just that I’ve only noticed it now. My everyday jeans still feel fine. That makes more sense as I was still eating on a night time then as I felt so hungry, so I will have been eating more. The last couple of weeks I’ve managed a lot better and been working through desire and definitely eaten less. Maybe I just need to give it time?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Okay. Good. Yes, maybe give it some time now that you are eating less.

If you’re aiming for keto, carbs would be a maximum of 10% of your intake, with any veg included in that, so it’s quite extreme as far as the carbs go. If you were doing that, then the advice to eat as much fat as you want might work. Even so, calories do matter to some extent, so maybe play around with it a bit and do some trial-and-error experiments with less fat too.

IF can be useful. I understand that most people wake up in some degree of ketosis due to their overnight fast while asleep, so extending that will extend the time spent in ketosis. Many people (me included) either skip breakfast or consume zero carbs until lunch or even later.

Gillian
      Keymaster
      Victoria
      Participant

Thanks Gillian, I will have a look. I appreciate the advice and support. Happy Easter 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.