insight

Home Forums ELO Forum insight

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicola
      Participant

Dear Gillian and everyone,

I’ve just finished re-watching Sunday’s live webinar on choice and boy, it was so good! I’ve taken lots of notes and have plenty to bring into each day. This evening (early evening) I had my first very tiny success. I was feeling a packet of crisps calling my name rather loudly, so I stopped and told myself I could have those crisps, in fact I could have all 18 bags in the multipack, but how would I feel afterwards? I knew I would feel sad about my choice so I decided to bring dinner forwards and have that instead – which I did! I didn’t miss the crisps. At all. Wow!

Secondly, I had an insight about how I’ve been using Choice (in the way you describe, Gillian) in another area of my life, quite successfully. I have suffered from severe and chronic insomnia, and after several years have found grounding sheets which work amazingly well for me – so that, instead of waking up in the night, I would sleep through the night. Bliss! However, I was still having trouble fairly frequently with falling asleep in the first place.

Well, in the end I decided I had to cut down on my beloved cups of caffeine-filled tea (I used to have 6 or 7 a day). What a huge sacrifice that was – initially! But – what a difference it made to my ability to get to sleep! In the end I cut out all tea as even 1 cup in the morning would impact my ability to get to sleep that night.

It has made such a difference to me that now I am not even tempted to have a cup (even though I would still love to). When I think of having a cup of tea, I simply say to myself, if I have that cup of tea it will affect my ability to sleep tonight, and the conversation in my head is over almost as soon as it begins. And I don’t feel resentful or deprived at all. I feel completely at peace over not drinking my tea. Drinking that cup of tea gives me fairly instant feedback – a difficult time getting to sleep that night – and so the choice and the consequence are bound up together, which is amazingly helpful.

So, I am encouraged to see that I can already do this! And I can see that Gillian’s ideas will work, if we :take a stand”! Thank you, Gillian!

Nicola

Sian
      Participant

Hello Nicola

This reminds me of my success with caffeine too. I decided 19 years ago to eliminate caffeine for the same reason Nicola, and I have very easily stuck to it ever since. It’s easy to stay caffeine free as the benefits definitely out weigh the negatives (actually, I can’t see any negatives of not drinking caffeine). It can be a little awkward sometimes when there’s only drinks with caffeine available, such as mates house or group settings, but I can always ask for water, either hot or cold, and that seems to work.

I have said for a while now that I wish sorting out my eating could be as easy. I guess that’s up to me to observe the advantages of not overeating something, or having smaller portions, choosing healthier meals etc. Looking out for the benefits is key.

Thanks for the reminder.
      Keep up the good work.
      Sian

Lucy
      Participant

Hi Nicola/Sian, thats interesting, I too have problems going to sleep sometimes, comes in phases, its miserable when its happening and I know that any caffeine after about 2pm impacts my sleep and its so easy to not to drink it as I know what the outcome maybe. I hope I can bring that same ease of making that choice to the eating!
      Did you both feel much better for eliminating caffeine entirely? I know I rely on it to get me going in the morning (tea that is, don’t drink coffee)

Good luck all.

Lucy. X

Sian
      Participant

Hello Lucy

I can’t say I leap out of bed each morning with enthusiasm, energy and vitality for life, like a puppy, but I definitely don’t need caffeine to kick start my day. Eliminating it was pretty easy, I think. It was a long time ago. Ha ha

I would suggest you try being caffeine free for a while, with no pressure on yourself and see how it feels. Then you can make an informed choice or whether you want caffeine in your life or not.

Good luck
      S

Nicola
      Participant

Yes, I definitely feel better for not drinking it, although I admit it was REALLY tough to give up the morning cups – those ones you use to get you going in the mornings! I read in a book about the caffeine-sugar-alcohol spiral. It goes like this. You need caffeine in the morning to get you going. As your body relies on caffeine, you also need it to keep you going in the day – and often, sugar is used for the same reason (my go-to treats to keep me going on a strict diet used to be a cup of tea and a banana – sugar and caffeine, essentially.) What this does is enable you to survive the day on poor nutrition – I was losing weight but cheating my body out of being properly nourished. And as Gillian has pointed out, this raises cortisol levels (I had mine checked and my end of day levels were sky-high). So – come the evening, you have all this cortisol swimming about in your system (as well as caffeine) and guess what? You can’t get to sleep! You are wired on caffeine and cortisol. So what do you do? You have a glass of wine (or two!) to unwind enough to fall asleep. And what that means is that the caffeine and sugar used to get through the day (while cheating our body of proper nourishment) leads to the need for alcohol at night to reverse the process – so you are artificially keeping yourself going in the day (with caffeine and sugar) and then artificially reversing that process in the evening (with alcohol). (Not factoring in of course how alcohol leads to the munchies…!!). So I just became aware that I was definitely using the caffeine-sugar-alcohol trio in a way that was destructive to my health and my sleep. I’ve given up caffeine – but am now stuck with the evening wine habit (because it’s what I’m used to and because my brain tells me I need it to unwind). So I am trying to use this course to ditch the evening wine as well because I really don’t need it any longer to fall asleep, now I am no longer drinking caffeine. Sorry this is a bit long but I hope it helps! Good luck!
      Nicola x

Gillian
      Keymaster

What a wonderful conversation! I think one key to seeing non-weight benefits from eating less is to discover how much less of something is required to deliver any observable results. So in the example of caffeine, for some of you drinking a bit less caffeine wouldn’t have made any difference to your sleep. It’s the same with food: seeing what benefits might appear and how to create them – through trial and error.

Margaret
      Participant

Wow! Thank you so much for this post and for sharing how your experiences are helping to shape your thoughts especially through the non weight motivations of the day.
      A light bulb moment for me from Gillian’s reply….”Discover how much less of something is required to deliver observable results”. This immediately caused me to redress my lunch plate…to a smaller one and cut the quantities in half! It may have been healthy but it was definitely too much at one sitting!!
      Will see how the week goes and update on the progresses hopefully made!

Have a good week

Margaret

Gillian
      Keymaster

I’m looking forward to seeing how that goes, Margaret. And do remember that you’re not locked in to any one decision you’ve made.

Margaret
      Participant

Thank you Gillian and it is finally coming together…. how to fit all the pieces of what at first seemed like a jigsaw puzzle. Getting your mindset in the right place just for each day and to own your choices. Being free to choose and know that you can actually eat it and it does not have to be behind closed doors in secret! And the best bit…not locked in and can change your mind.

Hoping to report a great weekend and looking forward to Sundays Webinar.

Thank you Gillian and Nicola for this thread on insight…it has been an eye-opener!!

Margaret

Nicola
      Participant

It’s great when it starts to come together – I’m not there yet but getting snippets…. have a great weekend everyone and see you Sunday evening! Nicola x

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.