is this compliance?

Home Forums ELO Forum is this compliance?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicola
      Participant

Hi Gillian and everyone,

Last night was my major trigger Wednesday night. After working all day I go out to a 2-hour music rehearsal. It’s fun but it’s also hard work and a late night and I feel I “deserve” a treat after it – sp I usually get home, crack open a bottle of wine, and drink some before attacking the inevitable crisps. I do it almost every week and have done for a long time.

So last night I had it all planned. I had no wine in the house and was going to work through my desire for some. I was telling myself all day that my Plan for the evening was to have no wine and crisps, but to work through my desire instead. So I got home – and found to my surprise that I didn’t particularly want the wine! Since it wasn’t in the house, it wasn’t a struggle. So I didn’t end up doing the “working through desire” after all as I wasn’t feeling the desire. I had a cup of herbal tea and went to bed without feeling deprived.

However, I am thinking that this is probably just me slipping into compliance (something I have historically been very good at) because that Wednesday night cue/trigger is a very strong one. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
      Nicola

Gillian
      Keymaster

Nicola, there are many possibilities here, but nothing to be too concerned about, I don’t think. One is that wine isn’t all that addictive for you; that it’s more of a take-it-or-leave-it kind of thing. I suggest you just make a mental note of what happened, and see how it goes next Wednesday, and the one after that… Maybe on one of those Wednesdays you’ll have the wine, so see what you like or don’t like about that to inform your choices in the future.

My main comment, though, is that you’re thinking in terms of “making a Plan” (with a capital P) about the wine. This isn’t using the technique of “Plans” as I describe in Week 4, the purpose of which is to eat less of a snack or meal than you would have done, as a way to take control of snacks or meals and eat smaller versions by making a Plan just before you start eating.

What you did in not buying the wine seems fine to me; it just isn’t a “Plan” in the way I use the term. I do suggest you make a point to remember what (if anything) you liked about not drinking wine (and not eating crisps) because that’s what will motivate you to continue – assuming you want to.

Nicola
      Participant

Hi Gillian,
      Many thanks for that clarification around your Plans. I hadn’t realised that so it’s good to know!
      Thank you for all your comments above, they’re really helpful.
      Nicola

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.