Issues with lunchtime

Home Forums ELO Forum Issues with lunchtime

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Claudia K
      Participant

Hello everybody and Gillian,
      I’m having such a hard time applying the things I’ve learned so far to lunchtime. I either overeat at it or if I eat a normal portion at lunch then 1-2 hours later I eat a big unhealthy snack. I don’t even pause to give myself time to think. I have no problem thinking about my health benefits at dinner. In fact I used to be a big snacker after dinner. Then my digestive system started giving me problems and now I won’t be able to sleep through the night if I eat too late or too much at dinner. If a snack or overeating thought pops into my head after 6PM I immediately start thinking about my sleep and upset stomach and I’m not even tempted to eat. I started not eating after dinner about 1 year ago (without knowledge of this program) and I just realized that this is the same technique I’m learning here. I know I’m free to eat after dinner but I don’t want to. I just don’t understand why it works for dinner but not for lunch or snacking in the afternoon (it also works fine for breakfast). Has anybody else experienced it working for one meal but not the other? Any ideas why?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Claudia,

What stands out most to me is that you seem to have excellent non-weight motivation to eat less at dinner – but don’t mention any at all that might apply at lunch time – or for the ‘big unhealthy snack’.

As with any ‘stuck’ behaviour, I suggest emphasising your freedom first of all: “I can continue to eat like this, I don’t have to make any changes at all”, “even if I make changes I don’t have to continue”.

Other things to consider are that there may well be a multitude of baby-step choices between overeating at lunch and a “normal portion”. And secondly, your desire for the ‘big unhealthy snack’ is very likely to be cue-driven, based on your memory of having eaten less at lunch. So you can address it as that and not necessarily continue to act on it.

Claudia K
      Participant

Thank you Gillian. My motivation for lunch and dinner is the same of not being able to have a good nights sleep due to a super slow digestion but naturally overeating earlier is having less an effect on sleep than overeating later. The fact that I didn’t even mention this motivation for lunch/snack shows me that I’m not really thinking enough about sleep motivation at those times. Thank you for pointing that out.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Claudia, along with paying attention to your motivation to eat less at lunch, maybe take a look at your Addictive Mindset around it – following on from the material in Week 5.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.