Losing weight benefits, Fixed Mindset & Choice

Home Forums ELO Forum Losing weight benefits, Fixed Mindset & Choice

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Corina.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Corina
      Participant

Hi, Gillian,
      These last 2 weeks I had a chance to experience again (after a long time, maybe a few years), the fear of gaining weight. I realized in a very palpable way that weight motivation is very high in me. It came back to the surface. I know it is always there, but it came with a vengeance again, at a time of stress: starting to do something new in my work, fear of being visible, and not looking good enough.
      So I have 2 questions:
      1. the new stress triggered the old fear of being or getting fat ( I am not overweight…I feel like saying yet, so my expectation is that I may/I will get fat someday. Q: is this an example of fixed mindset?
      2. Is ” I always eat emotionally” an example of fixed mindset?
      3. How is lack of choice related to fixed mindset in this issue? I am not free because I’m fixated (fixed mindset) on “I may put weight”? Do I get it?

Your comment, that one can have a fixed mindset in an area, but not in everything, is very true. I cannot believe how blind I am in relation to food. But I was able to get out of the insomnia fixed mindset “I’ll never fall asleep” and I have been totally fine with however I sleep for years!!!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Corina,

1. new stress triggered the old fear of being or getting fat… is this an example of fixed mindset?
      This fear isn’t necessarily an example of fixed mindset; what matters is what you do with it, how you react to it. One thought always leads to another, yes? Whenever the old fear arises, if your thought process is: “that’s just how I am” and “I’d better begin a perfect regime of dieting/ fasting/ only eating when hungry/ etc.” that is where the unhelpful fixed mindset reaction can take over.
      Growth mindset responses to this particular fear is described in Motivation: The Solution (1.5)

2. Is ” I always eat emotionally” an example of fixed mindset?
      Same as above; it’s all about how you respond to this thought. Growth mindset responses for this one are found in Week 5 on Mindset (5.2 and 5.4)

3. How is lack of choice related to fixed mindset in this issue? I am not free because I’m fixated (fixed mindset) on “I may put weight”? Do I get it?
      The most significant aspect of fixed mindset is that it tends to support an all-or-none strategy: perfectionism, and a strong, negative over-reaction to anything viewed as a ‘failure’ or ‘mistake’. So – less of a sense of free choice there because there’s no wiggle-room allowed and no acceptance of being on a (very appropriate) learning curve.
      You may want to see the first half hour of the Q&A webinar on July 11. I speak about choice in relation to Self-Determination Theory (Dweck’s work is part of that).

Corina
      Participant

Thank you, Gillian. Very useful and detailed.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.