Low carb/ ketogenic eating

Home Forums ELO Forum Low carb/ ketogenic eating

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Grace
      Participant

Hi Gillian
      I’ve done the keto diet in the past for 8 months and loved the non weight benefits to it. Unfortunately, the addictive desire took hold and I came off (about two years ago now). I didn’t have a name for it then. I feel eating more starchy and sugary things just feeds the desire and weakens my resolve tremendously!
      I know you’ve mentioned eating in a similar fashion, obviously telling us that’s your choice. But would you recommend me looking at it again, through these new eyes and obviously with the outlook that I can change my mind at any time and any point? Thank you

Gillian
      Keymaster

Hi Grace

First, it might be a good idea to take a look at the video at 5.4 on the Dashboard to get your head around following advice and nutritional recommendations of any kind. It’s very easy to fall into the compliance/rebellion cycle, no matter what macronutrient content you consume. Part of avoiding this trap will be not following instructions too closely, in a rigid way.

Secondly, it’s often said that it’s much better (health-wise) to cycle in and out of ketosis, and this is apparently especially true for women.

Finally, when you say, “eating more starchy and sugary things just feeds the desire and weakens my resolve” I do wonder if there’s a particular mindset behind that, such as all-or-none, but yes, those carbs do tend to be more addictive. But as far as dealing with addictive overeating goes, it’s crucial to be able to handle that addictive desire. Unless you are never, ever going to eat them again, in which case the increased desire they create won’t be a problem!

Jessica
      Participant

Grace- I sympathize with you as well. I have tried Keto in the past more than once and always fail due to my addictive desire for sugar. I also identify with the all or none mentality! Thank you for posting and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Grace, Jessica and anyone else following this,

Apologies for not mentioning in my post above, (I’m never sure if I’m needlessly repeating myself!) that eating carbs doesn’t necessarily lead to any longer term failure to maintain any nutritional advice, keto or not.

I cover this in Week 6 in my videos on relapse, but putting that into action does require understanding and having some grip on the concepts of choice, desire and mindset. Which is why I present it in Week 6.

It’s important to know you’ve got an ‘all or none’ mindset, but there really is something you can do about it.

Julie Mann
      Participant

Following.

Grace
      Participant

Hi Gillian, (Jessica and Julie)
      Thank you for the response, I’ll check those videos out again. I think being out of my usual routine and having an incredibly stressful week has sent me off into a bad cycle again. I always look back to the stability of mood and eating that keto provided for me.
      I guess keto provides a structure to work within and I still feel out of control when not sticking to a plan or rules. There must be an element of perfectionism or ‘all or nothing’ mindset, which I thought I had been stepping away from. When I have done well with noticing my desire etc I’m not sure if I’m just treating that as a diet too, if that makes sense.
      I feel (currently) numb to the process of what is required when experiencing an addictive desire to eat. I know what to do but it’s like I’m shutting it down before I can go through the stages or the urge is much much stronger.Do you have any tips to getting back on track?
      Thanks again
      Grace

Julie Mann
      Participant

Hi Grace,
      Session 6 is all about “relapse”. I really recommend watching it again.
      I always find it helpful in moments when I feel like I’ve “lost the plot” as Gillian calls it.
      Warmly,
      Julie

Grace
      Participant

Hi Julie,

Thank you for the commment! I shall revisit this evening…..I’ve definitely ‘lost the plot’;)

Robyn
      Participant

Hi Grace,

Just wanting to say that whenever I experience a lot of stress, my way to deal with it seems to be thinking about my weight and eating, which sends me looking for ways to fix it all and resulting in a lot of binge eating. I only realised recently that this was happening and I’ve found it helpful to remember when I feel stressed.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.