No weighing myself…argh!

Home Forums ELO Forum No weighing myself…argh!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ann C
      Participant

Hi Gillian:

I put the scale away and I can’t believe how hard it is!
      It is now SO obvious to me that my ONLY motivation was weight loss. I was eating less, I was working through my addictive desires by using the tools you taught us. But the bottom line is weighing myself was my way of seeing if I was ” doing this right” ( and yes, I have been losing weight weight consistently) but I missed the whole point of the program!

Thank goodness I have access for a year. This is not happening for me over night. I am going to have to work, work, practice, practice to break this cycle of yo yo dieting.

I am currently on week 2 again.

Just thought I’d update you!😊

Sally G
      Participant

Hi Ann,
      I really relate you your post. I find it easier to imagine success and trust the plan when I am told what to do. After 40 years of yo-you dieting you would think that I would realised that wasn’t really a success. I also know that Gillian’s approach is a plan, that with consistency and perseverance can yield last changes and therefore results!

I need to go back to the beginning too.

Not sure if we are allowed to buddy up, but would always be happy to do that.

Sally

Gillian
      Keymaster

Ann,

You may have made more progress already than you realise, as just waking up to the weight-based motivation is the biggest factor. And you are doing well with what you’re eating.

Just keep an eagle-eye on non-weight motivations, write them down (often?) and make sure you keep them in mind.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Sally,

There isn’t a buddy system in this course.

I’ve given it a lot of thought in the past, but it’s not a good idea.

Ann C
      Participant

Gillian:

I do agree that I have made some progress. One thing I have figured out from all of the thinking I have put into this is that yes, I would like to lose weight. But MORE importantly I want the following:

FEELING IN CONTROL
      FREEDOM from constant thoughts of food (what will I eat next?)
      FEELING EMPOWERED (that the food does not control me)
      INNER STRENGTH

My whole life I have felt like I have been successful in so many different areas of my life but this was that “one thing” I just could not do. I could never stick to a diet until I reached a reasonable weight. I didn’t have the self control or willpower to do it.

I am realizing now that it really IS within me to do this. And although parts of it are “hard”, parts of it are so incredibly freeing. I DON’T have to be perfect. I DON’T have to satisfy the urge to eat, that compulsion WILL eventually go away if I just feel it, don’t avoid it. I just need to keep practicing this.

Gillian, I need your feedback on this:
      I have noticed at the store when I grocery shop, I see something that I really like (example: Frito corn chips). I pick up the bag, look it over, feel that overwhelming urge to buy them, then tell myself “I’m not going to get these today but maybe tomorrow I will come back. OR maybe I WILL buy them the next time we have company and I can have a few and let the guests finish the rest.”

That seems to really work for me. I hate to ask this but is that what we are supposed to do? I may buy them when we have guests over. I may eat a few. That would be completely different from my usual of a) if on a diet, telling myself no, that is a bad food. Or b) when not on a diet, buying them and eating them alone and finish in a day or two.

I have been doing this alot since learning the “this is just for now” way of giving myself actual choice. That seems to be a tool that really works for me. I don’t get that overwhelming sense of denial and deprivation.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Ann,

Yes, getting the Fritos to share is a good idea and is exactly the sort of imperfect and sustainable tactic I recommend.

I do wonder, though, about your motivation (capitalised above) as it seems to miss much that’s about physical well-being. I’m thinking you would have been eating a fair amount the last time you yo-yo-ed to gain those 60lbs or more. Carbs? Junk? Lots of it? Do you remember how you felt – your sleep, energy, digestive system, etc.

You are eating low-carb, very little ultra-processed, and not a lot (as we discovered on Sunday). Maybe you’re not seeing the health benefit of all of that because it was all about weight loss up to now?

Ann C
      Participant

Gillian:

Thank you for the response. I have been overweight by anywhere between 50-80 lbs my entire life. I would join Weight Watchers and lose 20 of the 40 lbs, go off and gain back the 20 plus 10 or 20 more. I have not been at a ” normal weight” since I have been about 18.

I am 58 years old and have been pretty lucky that my blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides up to the point have all been really good. I see a physician yearly and keep track of all of that.

The only thing I have noticed, physically, is that while eating VERY low carb (20 g or less a day) that I don’t feel hunger that often.
      But I also don’t want to have to stick to 20 g of carbs a day for the rest of my life. I don’t desire to have to count all my macros etc forever. I just want to be able to eat lower carb lower sugar on a day to day but be able to enjoy the finer things when dining out, going on vacation etc.

I want to eat a diet that consists of mostly, vegetables, fruits, good fats, proteins with an occasional splurge. And when and if I splurge, I would like to be able to enjoy it then just get back on to eating the way that makes me feel good about myself, my body and how I am fueling my body. Does that make sense?

Ann C
      Participant

May I also add that I rarely felt bloated or stuffed when I overate. I just ate WAY too much of the bad stuff. I still slept ok, complexion was good.

It was more the emotional things that I felt bad about. Out of control. Sad because I couldn’t get a handle on it. I felt weak and ashamed.

Hence the reason I think I am using the emotional motivations capitalized above.

Make sense?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Yes, makes sense.

Looks like you are doing really well at this point, and your insight into your motivation may well prevent your next potential yo-yo event.

Now you’ve reviewed Week 1, you can see that exclusive focus on weight-loss is pretty much guaranteed to create yo-yo regain.

Penny E
      Participant

Hey Ann
      I haven’t weighted myself since early in this course.
      First of all I was going to put the scales away but then I deceided to leave them in the bathroom.
      When I feel the urge to get on them I just say to myself “that is an addictive desire to get on the scales” have a bit of a laugh and move on. I noticed the other day that even tho I see them every day I rarely think about them. They had such a strong hold over me for so long and now I don’t even care about them.
      One thing I do know for sure tho, and remind myself when I get a bit panicked that my pants feel too tight, is that I have so much to learn and it cant all be done in a few weeks or days like the weight loss giants promise. I know for sure that I dont like being overweight but now accept that it will come off gently and slowly as I learn how to manage my addictive desires.
      Thanks for sharing on Sunday night. I have just listened. It’s great when questions get asked and answered.
      ❤️🙏

Ann C
      Participant

That scale is STILL put away. Really, really trying to only think about my non weight motivations. The pull to weigh myself is getting less and less.❤️

Jeanette
      Participant

Awesome, Ann! My scale is still put away, too! : )

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.