Phase out approach / Bakery

Home Forums ELO Forum Phase out approach / Bakery

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jessica
      Participant

Hi Gillian,

You mentioned during the last Q&A that you had a previous post that you could point me to discussing how you phased out pizza gradually. I would love to read more about that and see if I can adapt it to the morning bakery habit that I’ve mentioned.

I thought I would say a bit more about my bakery habit too, in case you have other suggestions on how I can manage the things that trigger this expectation/desire. I am usually not hungry first thing in the morning and I have my usual hang up that eating at home isn’t “exciting” and so I have very little drive to eat what I have in my kitchen. So I put off eating my own breakfast and do a lot of rushing around getting my kids up and making their (healthy) breakfast. At some point when I’m done getting them ready for the day or off to school, I find myself needing some kind of break, escape, indulgence, etc. both to recover and before I can think clearly and move on with my own day. I’m usually pretty hungry by this point too. It’s become a very strong expectation that I need this treat (a sugary breakfast that I eat in secret) before I can move forward.

If I just make myself eat something decent at home earlier, that does help me avoid the desire to go to the bakery if I catch it early enough, so that’s what I’m trying to do for now. And I am also trying to remember that, the bakery is never as good in actuality as it is when my desire it talking. And when I do eat at home, I am *always* glad I did. My non-weight motivation is how good it feels to start the day with something nourishing.

Last – I’m being mindful of the distinction between an intention to eat breakfast at home and a commitment to do so. That was so helpful for me!

Gillian
      Participant

Hi Jessica,

The post is titled, “Thoughts about sweets” and was posted 2 weeks and 6 days ago. Apologies – I thought I’d posted this already, and thanks for reminding me.

From what you’ve said here, it seems you’ve found a strategy that helps you to avoid your desire for bakery food – including your “I need this treat” mindset – and that’s usually not effective.

On a practical level I’d have something readily available at home, something that takes no prep at all for when the kids have gone to school and you then feel your hunger (although do keep in mind that hunger does tend to be a conditioned response).

Jessica
      Participant

Thank you – that is very helpful. I see now that I have just been attempting to avoid the desire or side step it. I had a blind spot there and didn’t even realize that’s what I was doing! Thank you for pointing that out.

I have a few things like oatmeal at home that I do like well enough and are easy – so will try that.

Gillian
      Participant

Excellent. It really can be tough to see some of these things yourself.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.