Prohibitive Thinking – At the supermarket

Home Forums ELO Forum Prohibitive Thinking – At the supermarket

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Eulalia S
      Participant

Once a week I go grocery shopping. I always buy healthy food. Is this limiting or denying my choice for thebrest of the week? I fear that if I buy unhealthy food, I wonโ€™t stop thinking about it until I give in and eat it all.

guadalupe
      Participant

I try to buy healthy food and have healthy food at home because I feel like If I have them at home Im gonna eat them all the first day… but when I want something like icecream or cookies, as I dont have them at home.. I go to buy them and eat them all ๐Ÿ˜”

So no differente if I have them at home :/

Gillian
        Keymaster

Hi Guadalupe,

This is a bit of a different issue. I suggest you recognise your freedom of choice to continue to do this, and see what might motivate you to change this. In other words, if you didn’t go to the shops to buy cookies and ice cream, what benefit might there be to you?

Gillian
      Keymaster

Hi Eulalia

I encourage you to continue to “make your choices at the shops”.

If you buy the food and bring it home, it’s highly likely you’ll eat it. After all, what else would you do with it? So, your choice to eat it is made when you pay for it at the shop; it’s only a matter of time before it’s actually consumed. This is why is stays on your mind… when? … now? … or now?

Remember that you’re the one who chose to leave it there in the shop (and why). And remember that you can always go back and buy some later that day, or the next day, or whenever – then you are not denying your freedom of choice.

Eulalia S
      Participant

Thank you Gillian! I am mostly happy with my choices at the supermarket, it makes shopping faster and easier ๐Ÿ˜‰. I leave the shop with a sense of pride and wellbeing. I was just wondering whether this behavior was restricting my choices for the rest of the week. Now I see that if I make a choice to eat junk food during the week, I can always go out and buy it… Thanks again!

lara w
      Participant

This is a very helpful thread for me. Thank you all!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.