Reflecting

Home Forums ELO Forum Reflecting

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Victoria
      Participant

Does anyone find it helpful to keep a journal or diary to reflect on how you’ve done? I have found that it is easy to take my eye off the ball and I can fall back into my old ways, just eating without thinking it through. I forget about choice, motivation and working through desire. I thought that maybe by revisiting the three themes daily (or whenever) and reflecting on how I had eaten that day or responded to addictive desire, it may help me to keep my focus a bit more. Gillian, do you think that would be a good idea? Am I the only person that does this?

Thanks

Victoria

Gillian
      Keymaster

Victoria, no, you’re not the only person who does this. The reason I don’t suggest journalling is because it doesn’t suit everyone and isn’t essential for everyone. BY FAR THE BEST strategy for integration is the one you come up with yourself.

Years ago one woman made a poster and brought it into my seminar in London. I wish I’d taken a picture of it. It was a collage of images cut from magazines, depicting all she’d learned. I remember her pointing to a bit of it and saying, “look, that’s where I make my choice…” It looked confusing to me, but that doesn’t matter at all. Write – or record voice-memos – or whatever helps you to make these ideas become the way you think about food.

Thanks for the question.

Victoria
      Participant

Thanks for that Gillian. I am feeling frustrated that I seemed to have forgotten all the good work I had done and reverted back to my old ways so I wrote it all down last night, which I found helpful and I managed to spot some mindset problems. The first one was that I ate wheat, so I decided I had blown it. Rather than working through my next addictive desire when it came later that day, I ate without thought. The desire was still there the next day and I justified my overeating with ‘its Mother’s day, I deserve a treat’, another mindset issue. I can see where I went wrong and how I fell into the trap and I think putting it down on paper was a useful exercise for me. I can see that one poor choice led to a domino effect of poor choices. The exercise also made me really consider the outcome of my choices, I felt rubbish, apart from feeling guilty, I ended up with a stomach ache all night and it is still bothering me now. So that is a good non-weight related motivation. I am hoping that by doing this exercise regularly it might help me to stay on track. Whilst doing the course I found that I put a lot of thought into what I was eating as it was at the forefront of my mind, now the course is over I can see my old thinking styles and behaviours creeping in and I have lost the focus that I had. I suppose my old behaviours have been around for over 25 years, so they aren’t going to just disappear overnight! I did one good thing though, I switched my usual Saturday night alcoholic beverage for alcohol-free wine, as I know that alcohol often makes me feel hungry and I start reaching for food and this is an issue for me, so at least I did something right at the weekend! As you say, it is a work in progress!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Victoria, it’s great that you’re noticing all of this. It’s what this process is all about; gaining awareness of things such as mindset, prohibition, all-or-none, outcomes.

It suddenly occurred to me yesterday that I have done a huge amount of ‘journalling’ on this topic – otherwise known as writing books! Seems so obvious now, but I have never thought of it like that before. I spent a solid three years writing EATING LESS!

Larissa
      Participant

Hi Victoria, Gillian and all!
      I’ve also fallen into the trap of acting=eating without a thought.
      One, I wanted to cut on bread consumption. Two, I wanted to have it done and over with. Three, why not cutting off sugar just as well?
      And before I knew it I was having all the desserts I could put my hands on. So scared and deprived I felt.
      It took me a week before I came to my senses, went back to the Choice webinar and remembered about the choice just for NOW, not forever.
      So, the question is: how to recover quicker? Or will it come with practice? 🙂
      Thanks!

Gillian
      Keymaster

Larissa, the more you revisit any of the materials, the more it will become integrated into the way you think about food. And, I do understand you may have other things to think about in your life 🙂

Caroline
      Participant

I’ve found this too. Once I’ve finished reading the book I can’t remember the stuff when I need it. I currently have some statements as a screensaver on my phone, and a shortcut to this site to improve ease of access for me

Victoria
      Participant

Thanks everyone. I am going to keep going back and revisiting the modules, keep checking in to see how I’m doing and put some notes in my phone for working through desire. It’s very easy to fall back into old ways and it takes a conscious effort to make the changes which will hopefully get easier in time ?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.