Regarding freedom of choice and taboo foods! Gillian?

Home Forums ELO Forum Regarding freedom of choice and taboo foods! Gillian?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Carla
      Participant

Hi Gillian , everyone,
      Have just watched webinar from Sunday 14th and something stuck with me and is troubling me.
      One of my motivations is that I want to eat less of certain foods but don’t want to exclude them.
      I realise that certain foods are not considered to be good for our physical health, can contribute to fatty liver disease etc.
      When I am making a free choice about what or how much to eat, I think my main immediate feel good factor is that I am looking after my health, ( I know the thought of being lighter and all the health benefits that will incur are part of this feel good factor), but that does still seem so linked to knowing what I have learned about BMI and how being lighter will benefit me physically and psychologically, there is also vanity which is also in the future.
      The reasons are all so mixed up and entwined and it is hard to not think of weight loss as a motivator in the mix.
      I love to cook and bake, it is. passion and I do not want to exclude these foods because they may cause me fatty liver disease, the thought of disease as a reason not to eat them seems as prohibitive and non immediate, potentially in the future as much weight loss is for me.
      The insinuation, even if based on fact that certain foods will lead to disease and so these foods such as biscuits are not good choices feels like something prohibitive to me.
      If I truly have free choice then I do occasionally want to eat a biscuit or a slice of tart but only in moderation.
      Is there a hidden agenda that we ‘should’ steer away from certain foods altogether.
      I don’t immediately have any negative effects from anything I eat now, other than accumulated weight gain, from eating too much of certain foods too often, many of my my family were chefs and being Italian, I have so many good associations and memories with food and cooking that I don’t want to turn my back on .
      Sorry, that was long but seemed important as I need to find a way to feel free to make my choices but I don’t want to completely exclude certain foods in my life which give me so much pleasure.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Carla.
      Gillian

Hi Carla,

Abstaining, where you cut out some kind of food 100% completely, is not an essential part of taking control of overeating.

Some people, for various reasons, may want to do that with some foods, but I will be explaining later on in the course how to eat some things sometimes, in amounts that work for you. Which is what you say you want to do. Good.

However, you have misunderstood something about free choice here, and that is that even if you didn’t eat a certain kind of food at all (and I’m not suggesting you do that) you can still carry that off with a genuine sense of freedom.

You say, “foods such as biscuits are not good choices feels like something prohibitive to me”. It’s important to acknowledge that you are still free to eat food that will undermine your health. Bad choices are still choices.

Few people prohibit healthy food, or even not-so-healthy food in small quantities. The reason I speak about it is with regard to food that isn’t so good for you.

I suggest you think in terms of, “I’m free (not prohibited) to eat anything and everything”.

Carla
      Participant

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense to me now 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.