Restless Legs Syndrome

Home Forums ELO Forum Restless Legs Syndrome

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Janet K
      Participant

Hi Gillian and Everyone

Im wondering if anyone else suffers from this most annoying condition. I’ve had it from before my first pregnancy and it has got worse over the years.
      I realise that I often overeat to lessen/mask the horrible feelings and jerky movements in my legs.

Anyone out there suffering the same, I’d appreciate any thoughts/coping strategies.
      Thanks 😊

Gillian
      Keymaster

Hi Janet

I wonder what you’ve tried already? If it was me, the first thing I’d do is magnesium supplementation, as muscles need magnesium in order to fully relax. Most people are deficient, and it’s not a huge cost or risk to health.

But maybe it’s more to do with the nervous system than muscles? Not sure.

Janet K
      Participant

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I’ve tried various supplements with no great success but I’ve been reading recently about applying magnesium oil so I’ll try that.
      I know that I use it or certainly did use it as an excuse to eat. I’m now aware of that train of thought and I’m working on it.
      Thanks again.

Gillian

The oil sounds worth a try.

And of course you can take a bath in magnesium salts (Epsom salts) and absorb it that way.

And BTW, anything at all can be an excuse to eat 🙂

Louise
      Participant

Hello Janet, you have my sympathies, that is a really disruptive condition. I don’t suffer from it myself, but I have a close friend who does. He did quite a lot of research around it, and he said that cutting glutamate down in his diet helped. That includes monosodium glutamate in things like soya sauce, but also some quite healthy foods like walnuts, mushrooms and some cheeses also contain high levels of glutamate naturally. He is vegan so it was quite tricky for him to find food he could eat. He says it has helped a bit and he has periods without any episodes, and then will get several in a row.

Good luck with finding something to ease the symptoms.

Janet K
      Participant

Yes Epsom salts is an idea. And I’ve never heard of the avoiding glutamate idea. I’m going to look further into that thanks Louise.
      My Mum, brother and I are all affected by RLS (Mum very badly, often has to stand or walk all night with next to no sleep).
      Before I had it I’d no idea just how dreadful it is. A night out at the cinema for example is just impossible because I can’t sit still. Saves me getting in the bucket of popcorn I suppose … 😃
      From what I know, sugar can really fire it up so great motivation for me to keep going with this course.

Monica G
      Participant

Hi Janet. I suffer from RLS as well. It’s a horrible condition. I take 400mg Magnesium supplements every night and that helps. Having a drink in the evening makes it worse. Sometimes, I also need to take Ibuprofen as it is a muscle relaxer. And exercise (although not late at night) also works well. Before I started taking the Magnesium, the only thing that helped was a glass of milk and biscuits but I have decided to stop that (for obvious reasons!) and take the Magnesium instead. Happy to help if you need any more info. Take care!

Janet K
      Participant

The magnesium is definitely worth a go. What supplement do you use Monica if you don’t mind me asking?

Gillian

Janet, if you want to splash out on the best, GO FOR THIS ONE – but there’s lots to choose from.

400mg per day is a starting point; if you take too much you get diahorrea and then you cut down to a lower dose.

THIS IS NOT PROFESSIONAL ADVICE, JUST INFO I’VE GATHERED.

Janet K
      Participant

Aw Gillian, thanks so much for looking into this for me. I’ll give it a go. I should maybe check with a doctor first as I’m on calcium because osteoporosis runs in my family. But magnesium is good for bones too I think.
      Thanks again. I appreciate you giving your time so freely 😊

Monica G
        Participant

That’s exactly the one I take!

Jane Marriott
      Participant

I’ve suffered from RLS for many years and eventually blood tests showed low iron, after a 3 month course it almost disappeared, if I feel it start up again I take them again for a few weeks.

Jane Marriott
      Participant

Ferrous generate 210mg, 1 per day.

Jane Marriott
      Participant

Ferrous fumerate

Janet K
      Participant

That’s interesting too Jane. My iron levels have always been ok but haven’t had them tested recently so that might be a good place to start.
      Thanks everyone for your help and comments. It’s not a painful condition nor life – threatening but o my days does it make me feel miserable 😩

Elizabeth
      Participant

I believe the two most common reasons for RLS are low iron and low magnesium- so it’s definitely worth checking your iron levels and trying magnesium supplements/ oil/ baths. If these don’t work, it might be worth discussing with your doctor- there are medications that can help; of course it’s better not to if you can avoid, but it depends on how badly it affects you. (I’m a retired pharmacist).

Janet K
        Participant

Thanks Elizabeth, I’m definitely going to get those levels checked. I’m keen to avoid the “heavier” drugs as Mum has had to take some of them and they’ve caused a lot of complications for her (with augmentation etc). So if iron/magnesium supplementation can help, that’s the way to go.
        Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.