Shouldn’t have weighed!!!

Home Forums ELO Forum Shouldn’t have weighed!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mo
      Participant

Hi Gillian and everyone.
      I realise how far I’ve come but also how far I’ve yet to go on this journey. I weighed on Thursday and I’d put on weight despite following imperfectly intermittent fasting and eating healthily. This led me to overeat all day. Snacking constantly and just losing the plot basically. I’ve put my scales away… before weighing I felt positive, happy,and slimmer. This just reinforces the negatives to weighing myself. Dress or trouser feel should be enough to go off.
      Thought I’d share in case it helps anyone else.

Renée L
      Participant

Oh Mo!

I can definitely relate to your post; I,too have experienced this emotional let down many times so I understand completely. Thank you for sharing your vulnerable feelings. My entire life I have either avoided the scale or used it as a “self-worth measuring tool”, but it never measured in my favor!

I have stopped weighing myself since starting the course. I have been tempted a few times, but instead have asked myself: has weighing myself and knowing the number EVER changed my EATING behaviors? Then I remember that my goal is to change my relationship with food. Weighing myself will not result in the changes I am after, unless I am eating while standing on the scale, because the two behaviors are completely unrelated in the moment they are happening. But using Times and Plans result in measurable changes, along with managing my AD.

I also say very clearly to myself what Gillian has stated: focusing on my weight is the wrong focus! Then I can focus on what really matters, which is the frequency and amount/quality of food I am eating. In the moment before (or while) I am eating the food!

To add some levity, here is a somewhat funny scale story: my husband (who is not overweight so I am not even sure why he does this) weighs himself every morning after he wakes up. He gets up before me. And our scale has a telltale sound. I can be in a deep sleep but as soon as I hear the scale “beep”, my eyes will pop open! I am just like Pavlov’s dogs…with the sound of the scale! Now when this happens I use the opportunity to talk to myself and review my non-weight benefits.

This is a much better way to start my day!

Louise
      Participant

What a great story Renee! I love your Pavlovian reaction to the scales. And Mo, I have found that making mistakes is a great way to learn. Next time you are tempted to step on the scales, you’ll probably remember that last time it didn’t work out so well for you.

Whenever I overeat (which I still do, from time to time), I always focus on the feelings of regret afterwards, as well as on the inevitable physical discomfort. Then, when I am faced with my AD again, I deliberately remember those feelings, and as part of making a choice, ask myself am I willing to accept those consequences? The answer is invariably ‘no’!

Mo
      Participant

Thank you Renee and Louise.
      I think I’ll have to adopt your self chat Renee. I do find myself talking to myself when about to get on the scales. Part of me thinks it is addictive desire to weigh. It’s something I’ve done all my life jumping on and off scales. I even know they have the potential to ruin my day because I allow it. But it shouldn’t matter…it is just a number. But I realise I’ve relied on that number to tell me if I’m successful or not. If I’ve lost weight I have a smile on my face and feel energised and positive. If I haven’t lost weight but gained…I
      am fed up, angry and believe I’m a failure. So why do I put myself through it?

So next time I feel the urge to step on the scales I’m going to work through my AD and bring up these feelings of regret I’ll know I will feel if I’ve gained weight. I don’t need a scale to dictate how I should feel. Having good health is my motivation, my focus not the number on the scale.

Julie Mann
      Participant

Such a great conversation. Mo, good job putting those scales away and for your realization and sharing. And Renee I love that the sound helps you remember to focus on non weight benefits. This is so helpful.

guadalupe
      Participant

Here I am ! Another one that have put the scale away! I´ve been weighing myself every day for almost 2 years (or maybe more). Then Ive started to do not do it everyday, and when I started this course and another one of body image that recommend the same thing to DO NOT WEIGHT and through the scales away. I was able to stop weighing myself for weeks, then for a month. And then when I weighed myself again, it was like taking steps back, many. And it was like Mo said, like an addictive desire to weigh even I know it has the potential to ruin my day, and it was because I allowed it.

I have taken the scale out of the house and I am beginning to reconnect with my body. With my feelings and sensations of which food is good for me or which is bad for me, based on how I feel, downplaying the number on the scale.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.