Struggling

Home Forums ELO Forum Struggling

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicola
      Participant

Hi Gillian,
      I’ve been struggling this week. I had a bad weekend last weekend (as I reported on the forum) and this week has been ultra-busy so I haven’t had much time to watch the course webinars and videos. Consequently the information has receded into the background and all become a bit of a blur! I have done some minor overeating as well as one binge (Wednesday night) which I feel awful about. So I’m just generally feeling really low about how I’m doing at the moment.
      I guess my question is about pacing. I’m feeling overwhelmed with all the information – it’s fantastic information and really inspiring but I’m not able to put it into practice at the speed at which it’s coming to me. (I also have some very challenging life circumstances that I’m dealing with at the moment which are also consuming my thoughts and emotions.)
      Would you recommend that I pick just one thing to focus on (such as getting in touch with free choice)? Or one problematic eating cue (Wednesday nights are tricky for me)? Or one addictive food (the wine and crisps combo)? I’m just feeling that I’m kind of floating adrift at the moment and getting really down about it.
      Thanks,
      Nicola

Sian
      Participant

Oh Nicola
      I just want to give you a big hug.

You write and explain yourself so well, that I can understand where you’re coming from and I want to show my support.

It will be interesting to hear what Gillian says.

Good luck.
      Siân

Nicola
      Participant

Thanks for your support, Sian! xx

Gillian
      Keymaster

Nicola, this is not the first time I’ve heard this course can feel overwhelming. I work hard to make it as clear as I can, and spread it out over the six sessions, but it’s still a radical change for many. This is why you’ve paid me for access to this material for a whole year – not just the length of this course.

So, you are more than welcome to do the course again, starting on February 2 – and if that seems a bit too soon (it does to me!) I’ll be doing another starting around May. And, you’ll have access to this site anyway, to review any time and at any pace that works for you.

Those who repeat the course tell me they understand it in an entirely different way the second time, and are much more able to grasp and use the ideas.

As for the present time, I wonder if you are struggling with self-esteem/self-compassion more than anything else? If so you may well appreciate these short guided meditations.

And as for your question, my guess is you’ll get the most mileage (see a real benefit) if you work through your desire for the wine-and-crisps. Do that on a trial basis, and see if it lifts your mood, even just a bit. The illusion is that they will make you feel a bit better, and it will be valuable for you to discover the reverse is true.

Finally, I do hope you can begin to see a way to resolve the difficult life circumstances. “This too will pass” can be useful at these times.

Nicola
      Participant

Thanks, Gillian, you’re an incredible teacher and the material is very, very clear. I think you’re right in that it is “radical” for me. And yes, I definitely plan to retake the course in February and again in May!
      Thank you for your suggestion re tackling the “wine and crisps” – that gives me something to grasp onto.
      And you are very perceptive in that I really need to be dealing with self-esteem/self-compassion issues right now. I’m dealing with a lot and am in “survival” mode and this does make everything harder… but as you say, it’s temporary!
      Thanks for the meditations link.
      I’ve just finished watching the Client Stories in the Mindset section and they were amazing. I took away many nuggets of wisdom from these, and especially the girl who said that you only fail when you stop trying…
      Many thanks,
      Nicola

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.