the eating trance

Home Forums ELO Forum the eating trance

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicola
      Participant

Hi Gillian and everyone,

I’ve been watching your videos and having so many “aha” moments – thank you so much! This week I had an insight into the eating trance state that I get into when I’m determined to overeat no matter what. Through watching your videos I can definitely identify with someone who has locked herself permanently into the cell and is in a continual state of rebellion. Therefore, in order to overeat, I have to shut out that prohibitive voice. I have to find a way to block it out for a while so I can eat what I want. Hence, the eating trance. I am literally blocking out my constant controlling prohibitive voice in order to escape for a few minutes (or hours!). That to me explains the eating trance. What do you think about this idea?

Thanks,
      Nicola x

Gillian
      Keymaster

Nicola, I do like the way you’re thinking here, especially your curiosity about what’s going on. That continual state of rebellion is a nasty place to be. I hope you read Sarah’s recent post about how she’s feeling as a result of grasping more of a sense of freedom.

In Session 3 on Sunday (tomorrow) I will be explaining how your brain creates that trance state – and what to do about it. So not long to wait 🙂

Nicola
      Participant

Hi Gillian,
      Yes, I dd read Sarah’s post and I found it very inspiring and it helped me make better choices today. I teach in a private school 2 days a week and lunch is provided. The chef is amazing, and the food is truly delicious. Every day there is a choice of a hot main meal, a hot vegetarian meal, or a very extensive salad bar (with baked potatoes, tuna salad etc). Not to mention some pretty amazing puddings… we can literally eat whatever we want and as much as we want. These 2 days are such a battle for me!! Oh boy, have I struggled. I usually overfill my plate and spend the afternoon feeling stuffed. Today, as I walked into the dining room, I told myself very firmly that I could eat whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted. And I could have pudding too, and go back for seconds if I wanted to. And… I ate a normal amount of food!!! I did not overfill my plate or eat until I was stuffed. And I had grapes for pudding. And I didn’t feel deprived…Writing this, at 4pm, I am beginning to get hungry for my next meal, rather than being full till bedtime.
      Wow.
      Nicola x

Gillian
      Keymaster

Wow indeed 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.