The miracle of working through desire

Home Forums ELO Forum The miracle of working through desire

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Cindy.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Corina
      Participant

Gillian and all members,
      I have a life long tendency to rebel in all ways. I never dealt well with deprivation and I cannot diet ( although I have a dieting mentality due to early childhood coercion). I eat when I feel like, I overeat when I feel like it, I don’t eat when I don’t feel like it– total chaos. The only way of dealing with cravings was to substitute ( coffee, even hot water)- how unsatisfying!!!
      Last week a miracle happened- for the very first time in my life I was willing to deal with my addictive desire. It really worked.
      I feel empowered. I have a new sense of I am ok, coming from my body, not only from the mind.
      Thank you, Gillian, for the tools and the intense support.

Now I am dealing with the layer under the obsession.

Cyndi B.
      Participant

Really happy for you, Corina.
      I’ve found the desire module to be powerful as well. I had a gaping blind spot or a missing link around interpreting cravings… even after (maybe especially after) being on a long, long path of searching for an answer via nutrition education. Happy for what I gleaned on that journey, but not THE answer to my over eating and feeling crazy about food.
      I’m also so, so thrilled with the course.
      Best~ Cyndi

Corina
      Participant

About interpreting cravings, what do you mean, Cyndi, how did you see this before?

Gillian, it is 7 pm and I feel hungry. I do not think it is the addictive desire, because it doesn’t have the crazy feeling of I need to put something addictive in my mouth, but I cannot fully trust myself.
      Any suggestion?
      My guess is that I need time to be clear about the difference.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Corina,

Thanks for doing these great posts – I do think it’s a matter of using the Working Through strategy and seeing it’s use for yourself, as you have done.

As for needing time to be clear about the difference between addictive desire and a genuine need for nourishment I refer you to the very start of the video at 4.2. I show an image of a mountain, explaining that nobody can say precisely where it begins or ends. It’s a ‘fuzzy concept’ and it’s a thing, honest.

In the same way, it’s not possible to say “this is addictive desire” and “that is a genuine need for food” in a precise and perfect (!) way. As you would be able to say “this is a cat” and “that is a pair of shoes”.

It only matters if you think taking control of overeating should be done in a perfect way. But I aim to show you how to overeat less (maybe a lot less) – rather than never overeating at all (which cannot be defined and is unsustainable anyway).

Corina
      Participant

Perfect clarification, Gillian, for the perfectionist- me.
      The mountain image comes now to my mind, as prefrontal cortex information and source of compassion when the lower brain screams in fear: no mercy, be perfect or else…

Cyndi B.
      Participant

Hi Corina, you asked me about interpreting cravings…
      Before this course I was misguided by a few pitfalls Gillian mentions here: all the info. in the eBook (pages 4 and 11 nail it especially well for me), the Busting Myths video, and then further explaining desire / expectation in week 3.
      For the past decade I thought (based on advice/promises from many health gurus), that if I could get my hormones/blood sugar balanced, my carb amount “right”, my stress/emotions balanced, my sleep in-check, and on and on… that then this continual hunger would be satisfied and solved. There are benefits to all those endeavors, and they each support well being and eating less, but Gillian’s work, this course, is the key; it feels scary to trust and to hope again, but I know it is.

Corina
      Participant

Thanks, Cyndi, it is very helpful to hear an honest share. I heard and even got to believe at times about all these ‘threats’/demands/restrictions, so to say, and then big promises, and, although it may be some truth to it, I never believed in such small, targeted solutions. I always knew intuitively that it must be something bigger than that! I first discovered it related to insomnia, I learned to deal with it and I even became a sleep coach— so I think it is somewhat similar regarding eating, a similar obsession with finding the exact solution/recipe and never finding it, because it is none. Gillian is a rare teacher, because she is humble: she gives us tools, she teaches us how to learn, and this is what we need, right? What I am discovering in Gillian’s course is exactly that: tools and a new perspective, which we can each use in our own time and with our own understanding.
      WOW.
      I literally landed in this course a week later, and 3 weeks before attending an Intensive I had to postpone due to the pandemic: a week of mind, body, spirit healing, what a timing. A new journey, painful, scary, but also full of hope, as you mentioned.

Cyndi B.
      Participant

Yes, I can relate to aspects of your experience, and think we’re in a huge, common segment of society.

I too happened upon the course with serendipity, during the first free week this month. I was so impressed with the intelligence of it, I had the time and had the desire to dedicate myself to it, so I made a commitment to myself to be led, to follow along and really do it.
      Yay, us, all of us!
      xo

Cindy
      Participant

I really appreciate all these posts. So much wisdom.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.