The scale trap

Home Forums ELO Forum The scale trap

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Victoria
      Participant

So today curiosity got the better of me and I stepped on the scales. I haven’t weighed myself for about a month so I decided to step on, which I now know it wasn’t a wise decision in hindsight and I discovered that my weight has gone up. My reaction was to tell myself off and my thought was, ‘I need to lose weight – this is not good enough. Do you see what happens when I let go? I can’t do this programme’! I had headed straight back to compliance and usually, these thoughts will enter my head every time I even think about food, let alone eat until my weight has come back down. I have bullied myself into weight loss and my usual reaction is to tighten the reigns because obviously, I have been far too soft on myself. But this time was different, I managed to turn it around. Thanks to the exercise I did last night I managed to challenge this thought with, ‘No I don’t have to lose weight, it is my choice and if I want to I can keep on eating and put on even more weight’. I am saying this to myself every time I have this thought. I suppose this is me taking a stand against my inner bully and not letting myself go down the forced compliance route. I found it interesting how the scales could have such a powerful effect on me and I know even if my weight has gone down I feel relieved at first but then I put more pressure on myself to ‘keep up the good work’, which in the past meant, ‘be extra compliant and continue restricting’! This mornings event has just reminded me how much I need to work through these issues and I get that it isn’t going to be easy and it’s not going to be fixed overnight but by doing this programme, I am working towards a much healthier relationship with food and weight.

Gillian
      Keymaster

May I suggest that you recall your non-weight motivation (better digestion, sleep better, have more energy, feel happier and in control, enjoy my food more, no stomach ache, indigestion, IBS, fatigue) and see what changes in your eating you could make to produce those benefits – and there may be others you’re beginning to see.

Victoria
      Participant

Good point, I will do that thank you

Ciara Z
      Participant

Well done Victoria, that must not have been easy to do. The scales can be so controlling even though our weight can go up according to other variables such as water retention etc, so it’s not reliable. I’ve tried so hard not to get on the scales, it’s very tough. Up until recently enough I’ve judged my success on the number of pounds lost. This time around I’m taking it slowly. I’m focusing on my thoughts and behavior. I’m honestly feeling a lot better in the past few weeks. If anything I’m feeling good emotionally, I’m proud of myself. And physically I’m feeling good, I’m not as bloated and I’m not having as many IBS flare ups (that are triggered for me by overeating). I’m still tempted by the scale!! But I’m judging my success on how I’m feeling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.