The shopping mindset

Home Forums ELO Forum The shopping mindset

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Eileen
      Participant

Hi Gillian, i really had an aha moment when you highlighted why I make choices when I shop for food! It certainly supports my unhealthy relationship with food…and I know that until I change that I will have a struggle.. I realize that i shop with Convenience in mind!! And secondly Taste! ….cost is not a factor for me…nutrition is somewhat a factor as I don’t eat candy and chips etc.
      With convenience being my main driver I find myself buying a lot or prepared foods! It really is a change in mindset..thinking of food as a nutritional source as opposed to “something quick, easy and tasty”! I have been exploring ways to buy and cook non-prepared healthy foods that are reasonably easy and I make enough for more than one meal that I can freeze for future. Its still a struggle as I often don’t feel like preparing and cooking for just myself. Keeping in mind that I have the freedom to buy prepared foods anytime I want..and I occasionally do so.
      There is so much information in your work and it offers a chance for a lot of insight into what makes me tick! At times my mind is reeling. By the way..I have realized that I don’t give myself a lot of “freedom of choice” in other areas of my life as well as food…instead I can find myself living a life that I “should” be living at times..anyways..more “food for thought” (sorry for the pun!)
      Warm Regards
      Eileen

Renée L
      Participant

Thanks for starting this conversation, Eileen.

I can relate to a lot of what you said, especially about buying food that directly supports and perpetuates an unhealthy relationship with certain types of foods.

It took me some time to come around to this new mindset, (of owning true choice about what I buy, how much, etc…but then choosing NOT to bring certain foods home), and really feel it as empowering and a representation of my true self and goals, rather than a diet frame of mind, like “I can’t eat that” or “I am not allowed” to have that). But once I practiced pausing and not buying the food, over time I have developed a real freedom from the compulsion and obsession.

I know that I can have those foods anytime (granola, nut butters, certain nuts) but I also know the downside of eating them (Body obsession, remorse, guilt and shame) versus the freedom I feel and true choice I have cultivated in making the decision NOT to bring them home.

I know your situation is a bit different because I am specifically talking about my binge foods, and not processed foods as meals, but my point is that the longer I stayed with the three themes, the more I was/am able to decide freely and not feel like I am deprived and “losing out” on a food opportunity (this is my default mindset that I am learning to spot and redirect).

Thank you for sharing your AH HA moment!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Renée L.
      Gillian

Eileen,

I just thought I’d add that I’m not fond of cooking either.

May I encourage you to watch out for non-weight benefits when you eat more healthy home-cooked food.

And, when you have time, take a look at some of the videos in the “Reads and Views” section at the bottom of the Course Dashboard.

Eileen
      Participant

Thanks Gillian I’ll check that out.
      I know i feel better and I have found that I sleep much better when I eat healthier home cooked foods…less additives/sugars i suspect.
      And I found a little extra motivation while I was steaming brocoli …i had fond memories of my mother who ate it almost daily..and I felt she would be proud of me!!
      I haven’t binged since the first week or so of the course. its been a huge part of my life at times..I can go weeks of just bingeing…ice cream, packages of cookies or anything i have in the house!
      When i did binge i had all the excuses..just this once, I’ll be better tomorrow, once its gone I won’t buy it again, I NEED it, etc……BUT I would end up buying the things by talking myself INTO it!!!
      I’m concerned it may start again…so I avoid those aisles in the store..I’m not sure thats a good way to avoid binging! i tell myself I have freedom of choice…but I think it might be a slippery slope for me.
      Thank you for the course..and with the ability to review the course work for a year will be very helpful.
      Eileen

Gillian

I’ll be speaking about “the slippery slope” in our next webinar – I think it might be the most important webinar for you.

Jane
      Participant

In a strange way the choosing not to buy foods works both ways for me. I have loved discovering that I have freedom of choice regarding bringing certain foods into the house. Just because the standard household might have certain foods in the house it doesn’t mean that I have to have them in the house. So choosing not to have foods that are unhealthy in the house really helps me not mindlessly eating them.

But when it comes to foods I really do like, but would prefer to eat less of, I have found that it is useful to have just a small amount of the food in the house. For example, trying to eat less apples because they give me such bad digestion, it seems to help more if I have one apple in the house. Then, for me, I know that I do, in fact, have the choice to eat an apple if I wanted to. If I have no apples around, it seems to set up that craving and depravation and an “apple binge” the next time I go to the supermarket.

My ultimate goal, a long way down the road, is to have a bit of just about every food I would ever want to eat in the house. Then I am free to choose them, but choose not to. I can do that already with some foods. For others, I really have to leave them in the store right now – nuts, for example. But my long term goal is to have these foods in the house and know that I am in control of whether I eat them or not.

Not sure this make sense but thanks for the thread!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.