The slide

Home Forums ELO Forum The slide

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Louise
      Participant

I thought I would share some of my experiences this week after rejoining the course for the second time.

I have managed to eat healthily on two days out of five, so I am congratulating myself on that at least. A big trigger for me is stress about work. If I am not working, I don’t overeat!

I’ve also used something that I learned on Gillian’s ‘Stop Smoking and Stay Stopped for Good’ course (20 years ago). When I am faced with eating something addictively, I remind myself that if I do eat it, I may not be able to stop eating. I also remind myself that, for example, eating ‘just’ a piece of cheese addictively might mean that the next day, that little indiscretion gets bigger and becomes ‘just’ a whole bar of chocolate, or ‘just’ spoonfuls of peanut butter from the jar, or ‘just’ a whole packet of biscuits. I know this, because it has happened before, hundreds of times. It’s just inserting those consequences before I take the first bite.

Obviously I have a choice, but a big benefit for me of not eating something addictively is that it helps me to stop myself sliding into a binge over the next few hours or days. In terms of smoking, when similar thoughts of having a cigarette arose, I would remind myself that I might end up not being able to stop smoking at all, and therefore having to smoke for the rest of my life, which I didn’t want to do for health reasons.

I hope that might be helpful for people. I have found the forum a big support as I experience many of the same issues and problems.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Louise, I love that you call it The Slide, but you’ll see later on in the course that I’ve got a different take on it.

In some circumstances it can be helpful to make this kind of “all-or-none” choice – but when applied universally you get rigidity and abstinence – and that’s tough to live with.

So I recommend finding a path between the two (and think that might make sense later in the course).

Paola
      Participant

Thank you Louise for sharing your experience. I read Gillian’s book “Eating Less” some time ago, but this is the first time I have enrolled into her seminar. I totally agree with you that one of the few things that (occasionally) stops me from taking that first bite of a binge food is the fact that I know that I will eat the whole box of whatever that food is (and believe me, it is never celery sticks lol!). I look forward to learning how to have one biscuit with my tea without finishing the packet. For now, I take it one meal at a time, knowing I have the choice to eat something unhealthy at any time, but choosing not to do that to avoid the bloating or energy drop I get later on in the day. It is an easy idea to grasp, but hard to put into practice when constantly surrounded by temptation.
      Here’s to every and each time we can choose wisely and to the support and tips the forum provides.
      Have a great day!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.