Threatening myself

Home Forums ELO Forum Threatening myself

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Louise
      Participant

Thank you for your reply to my previous question Gillian; that is really helpful and something I can implement straight away. Apologies for another question so soon, but this one occurred this morning when I was going through the 5 steps.

One of my biggest motivations relates to the feeling that working through my desire to overeat on one occasions will make it easier not to overeat next time. I use this especially when I am in a specific situation where I always eat addictively. For example, I listen to The Archers Omnibus on Sunday and eat croissants with jam and cream addictively. To help me work through this desire, I remind myself that if I choose to eat addictively in this situation, I will always be faced with the same problem, every time The Archers is on. I tell myself that reinforcing the desire will make life more difficult for me when I try to control my overeating in that situation. I think I developed this way of thinking when I used your technique to stop smoking (20 years ago – it worked!). I would remind myself that if I smoke, I might never be able to stop.

So, my question is whether this motivation is a form of coercion, or threatening myself, or whether it is a legitimate motivation?

Thanks again (sorry for the long post).

Gillian
      Keymaster

Thanks for your question, Louise. It seems to me that you are motivated not to overeat in this situation, and if it’s working – especially if you aren’t feeling deprived or rebellious about this – that is the proof you’re doing it right, if you see what I mean. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

It seems to me there can often be an element of threat or coercion in making these changes, sort of: “if you don’t stop doing that, then…” This would be an inevitable factor in stopping smoking, and not eating (so much) junk food. It’s a matter of degree, though, and taking that on board together with some positive motivation, a good sense of free choice, and acceptance of addictive desire.

Louise
      Participant

Thanks Gillian! Yes,that sounds right. When I think about it,I am not feeling rebellious or deprived when I use that motivation, so at the moment, as it’s working well for me, I will carry on with it. Thank you again; just needed that bit of reassurance.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.