Times and Plans

Home Forums ELO Forum Times and Plans

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Andria
      Participant

Hi Gillian!
      I think times and plans has been working for me. I noticed today when my ‘time’ was coming up I was looking forward to eating, but didn’t have an addictive desire, just a thought that I was looking forward to my delicious food. Does it appear I’m using this strategy right? Should I still be anticipating eating if I’m using this properly?

Best,
      Andria

Gillian
      Keymaster

Andria,

I don’t see any problem with looking forward to your meal.

The purpose of setting a Time is to take control of any snacking you might have done before your meal. Having the Time in mind helps you to spot your addictive desire when you would have snacked. You don’t say anything about this, so not able to comment.

Andria
      Participant

Thanks Gillian. If I’m using Times daily for my meals, as in I eat at approximately 930, 1 & 6 with an afternoon and nighttime snack, but I’m thinking of them as guidelines not hard rules, is that using this right?
      If an addictive desire comes up before my time I work through the desire as you’ve taught.
      FYI – I like using the mp3, and I really like the analogy you used for giving the gate a boot in one of our webinars.

Andria

Andria

Gillian
      Keymaster

Andria,

I don’t think there’s any problem at all in having regular meal times if that suits you, and for some it fits their schedule. What’s very good is to have some flexibility in this so you don’t go crazy if a meal isn’t exactly on time for some reason, and I think that’s what you mean by guidelines rather than rules.

This is not what I mean by the technique of Times but don’t think it matters. The purpose of Times is to help you become conscious of your addictive desire during a period when you are, or might be, mindlessly munching from one snack to another. I doubt this is or was happening for you before breakfast, so there would be no point in setting a Time. But maybe you were doing that – I don’t know. Also, for someone who tends to graze endlessly, especially when it’s a huge challenge to get from one meal to the next without snacking, it’s important to set the Times as you go along, rather than have them decided for the whole day, as you do.

It’s a little difficult for me not knowing more about what overeating behaviour you are addressing, but if it’s working for you at the moment, please don’t worry. The tools of Times and Plans are optional extras. Using either one or both or not at all doesn’t have an impact on you taking on board the three themes – which is where it all happens.

Andria
      Participant

Thank you Gillian. I appreciate your brilliant advice and guidance!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.