Tracking my food

Home Forums ELO Forum Tracking my food

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Elena
      Participant

Dear Gillian,

i need your thoughts about the idea tracking my food for a while. I have time to workout more intense at Crossfit for the next few month and in order to make sure that i get enough carbs/proteins/fat i wanted to track my food for a while. My motivation behind it is to give my body the chance to recover well, increase performance and build muscles. I always felt like that i want to try doing it, because if not it always feels like ´best guesses´´. But i dont know if thats contra productive.
      What do you think?

Gillian
      Keymaster

My honest answer is I don’t know for sure. It may well be fine, and I think it’s best for you to give it a try to see.

I do think there’s a HUGE difference between:
      1. counting (anything such as carb grams or calories) as the way (or part of the way) you take control of overeating
      and
      2. getting a better grasp of your macronutrient balance to assist you in building muscle.

I’d encourage you to do the tracking just for a short while, as you’ve said.

Of course I’ve no idea, but I often wonder if you might be over-exercising, and if you keep an eye on that possibility?

Elena
      Participant

I was actually waiting to get your opinion and then decide what to do. And yes, i will give it a try and see what comes with it as a whole picture. Thank you!
      Oh and i do not know, it might sound a lot. I do sports 4-6/ week but never more then an hour a day. As a student i am sitting a lot and it feels good to me, especially since i am not having binges i gained so much more energy during the day. But i mentioned it a lot:-)

Elena
      Participant

Dear Gillian,

i tried it out. I tracked my food for a while and i honestly felt locked up in my familiar cage again. It is the ´´best guess feeling`´i wanted to get rid of but i realized that i am wrong. I still don´t know if this is a good idea or not to track food but in my case and for now it puts me back to a feeling of following rules, forbidden foods and rebellious reactions. Maybe the best-guess-feeling is a synonym for my feeling of choice. I lost it and it felt so not worth it to continue. I was trying to create a perfect state for my body but instead i became too locked in, anti-social and again too focused on the topic.
      I loved it to go out with friends recently and having a nice time and being free from any binges but now it has put pressure on me and not being on track. Its not that i am unhappy to know now that i might increase my carbs intake and reduce a bit of fats but i want to continue to work with my time and plans and trail and error. This brought me way better decisions.

Gillian
      Keymaster

Elena, really the best for you to try it out for yourself. I doubt that our bodies notice rigid, exact amounts of anything. You have a rough idea of macronutrient contents, so go by that, and be okay with variations from day to day – sometimes big variations. That’s how we were with food hundreds of years ago when we were hunter-gatherers, and our bodies and brains and minds evolved in that environment.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.